Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,my 2004 636 engine always sounds like the shims/camchain tensioner needs checking(tapping/ratles) its done 13,000mls now and it always sounded the same(to me) and the service guy said they dont need checking.
shall i go to a another service centre or do they all have a niose to them.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Noisy cam chain is common for the 636, do a search for manual adjusting and replacing stock cam chain tensioner with a manual one. Take your bike to a different service guy, your valve will need adjusting at some point, check your owners manual for the service interval

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
First valve lash adjustment isn't until 15,000 or something like that. I don't think your service guy is incompetent or putting you on, it's just that customers get ideas in their heads that there is a problem with the equipment when a percentage of the time there isn't. If there is a REAL audible noise, the best way to zero in on it is with a stethoscope (or a piece of fuel line if you are broke). If there is a loud rattle that rises and falls in frequency corresponding to RPM there may actually be an internal engine problem and you are going to want to address it sooner than later. It may also require an engine pull to repair so I hope you have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
These engines all make alot of noise as if there going to let loose at any time. The cam chain tensioner will make a really loud clicking sound when you rev it up if its loose or on the way out. Almost will sound like a valve tapping but will come from the right hand side of the motor on the side of the bike.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
it'sthe cct. it isn't hurting anything, but the noise can be eliminated. best is a manual cct (a dealer can do that if you wish)

do a search on it, it's been covered a lot

·
Registered
738 Posts
+1 on the cam chain tensioner. Had a bad ticking noise, replaced the factory auto tensioner with a manual one. Problem solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anybody wouldnt know which tensioner it was would they, mines a B1h 03-04.some say they go straight up to 07, but some say 03 then change, unless im getting it wrong, also is there just ape tensioners, or shall i just stick with that make, thanks for all the replys, karen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
when you guys are talking about right or left side of the motor are you standing in front of the bike or sitting on it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
well when i'm sitting on mine i swear i can hear a vlave tapping on the left side of the engine

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
anybody wouldnt know which tensioner it was would they, mines a B1h 03-04.some say they go straight up to 07, but some say 03 then change, unless im getting it wrong, also is there just ape tensioners, or shall i just stick with that make, thanks for all the replys, karen.
ape is one of the most common. kawi makes a manual cct also. get one for 03'-04'. don't wast time getting another stock cct put in. it will be no quieter than what you have now. there are many threads covering the cct. do a search and you should get a lot of info from them

well when i'm sitting on mine i swear i can hear a vlave tapping on the left side of the engine
could be time for an oil change? just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi thx, i will order a ape one, the bike sounds great on cold startup, but just when it gets warn, it sounds like it is ticking, thx all again karen

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
good deal. i think you'll like it. just learn how to adjust it and check it once a year , well i check mine once a year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
warbuk i have just read about the adjusting the auto tensioner with just one click or two, will the chain tensioner still be sprung adjusted(if its to tight etc), or fixed like the ape one. you dont know why some bikes etc like my old srad, after warm up the tensioner becomes faulty, i had to book my suzuki srad in the garage a few years ago, after a faulty tensioner, but only after it was warm (fine when cold), but some do it when cold and go away when hot.thx all karen

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
You guys do know you can shim the spring in the auto tensioners and that you are paying WAY too much money on the mannys right? Did I just let the cat out of the bag?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts