Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this thread: /forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1380

and then maybe try a search of the forum for "break in" and such... there's been PLENTY of discussion on the topic.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
59 Posts
is everyone following the factory break in schedule. I have heard other methods...but with this being my first new bike I dont want to screw it up. Are there any other safe methods...cause the low speeds recommended equate to a higher engine temp....is this cool?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got 111 miles on my 636 now. I broke it in using the 15 minute ride outline and the gradual increase of rpms. My last ride (last night) (7th ride)I rung it up to 15000 rpms. I am pretty sure its broken in at this point. It runs very healthy and and am looking forward to more mods which i am planning. From talking to a number of people I have learned that motorcycles are wound out before the dealer even gets it for liability reasons. So then the main goal for us should be to break it in thru the rev range since it aint gonna blow!. I wouldnt worry to much about it! Just make sure you dont nurse it along like the dealer recommends for a 1000 miles. If you do that you will probably lose out on some powerband... Think about this: I havent ever heard of a new bikes motor blowing ever! They are essentially bulletproof and already tested. Run it hard and safe and enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
word robz! that under 4500 rpms to 500 miles is BS.. I mean come on- you can only top speed in 6th gear around 55 or 60 w/ that shit. This other thread goes into detailed discussion that if you don't break it in properly that you'll lose out on peak speed performance our bikes are capable of. I say lets be practical, how often does any biker maintain 150 mph speeds for any lengthy period of time unless they're into serious racing. For daily riders like most of use on here, after the bike's first ~100 miles of rpm rev punches below redline IMO your bike will be just fine. peace out & be safe

·
Registered
52 Posts
I must agree, 4000 rpm is carzy. My 03 runs 75km/h (46mph) in 6th gear and 4000 rpm.

btw: How fast is your 03 running with 4000 rpm? 75km/h seems quite slow to me.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
tam, I just brought my 6r to work today cauz it's awesome out. anyway when I slowed down off the ramp I looked down and was going exactly 47mph in 6th gear at 4,000 rpm's!! And at 4,500 I think it was around 53 or 54mph. What a JOKE!!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I disagree with the factory break-in method because: 1) at 4k rpm, it seems like I'm lugging my engine; 2) I think the 4k limit is just arbitrary because Kawi uses that same rpm limit for all its bikes, regardless of the type of engine. Obviously, running at 4k on a twin is different than on an inline 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.