Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just got my Area P 12 inch exhaust this morning:D. I threw it on this afternoon after work and installation went smooth except for one thing... The header pipe(?) is touching the metal of the outside of the oil filter housing. Now i wouldn't really call this a large problem but i thought it was not right (the whole hot pipe against oil thing). i tried looking for other people's install pics and see if they had a gap between these 2 things, and the one pic i did find had one... it was just a very small gap. So Im starting to think somethings wrong. I was going to call Area P for their advice but they are closed for the day. So i decided to turn to you guys since after reading this forum, you guys have more then enough experience with the bike and these particular set of pipes. hope you guys can help me out.

stole this picture from Vee so you guys can see what im talking about:

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
That is not normal. I in FACT OWN Vee's old Area P setup (He's long since sold that bike) and there's plenty of room down there. You CAN adjust where things sit :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what would u suggest? you guys think i should try to pry the pipe a bit to bend it away? just dropped 5 bills and im a little uncomfortable doing it but...desperate times call for desperate measures:buzzsaw:

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Yeah I couldn't get a good picture with the fairings on, but I could almost fit a finger between the exhaust and block all the way around. You might consider throwing some washers on the rear hanger to shim the exhaust outward more and away from the block

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did already...used the big chrome washer that the stock exhaust used and then all 3 washers that area p provided with the pipes...anymore and i wont be able to screw the exhaust onto the hanger

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm. . . .? I don't know but I do know that even that first picture you posted had me drooling over your bike. Looks sharp even without the fairings. Mine is gonna be red with red pin stripes and with an area p exaust too. I might see if they will make me a 15 inch like they did for someone else on this thread so I can have my happy medium of power vs noise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just had a look at one of my bikes with the Area P and its the same. Maybe 1/4" clearance between the exhaust and the oil filter housing. I don't think its a big deal. Both the exhaust and the bottom of the engine are mutha hot so nothing to worry about.

Edit... if its touching, maybe not so good. That's some serious heat transfer. Call Kerry at Area P tomorrow and ask him what he thinks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It looks to me like the header pipe moved in the jig while being bent. I'd call Area P back and send them the pictures. That's definitely not right.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
That's weird. For ONE in the underside pics it looks like the primaries tubes (where they merge) is too far backwards. Then the picture of the collectors (where the header bolts to the head) that they welded some extra metal on. That's not normal. The stock Area P headers should be one continuous piece.

·
Powerhungry
38,366 Posts
i dont mean to offend anyone..

but how much are they charging for that system?

it doesnt look like a very good(quality) piece.
shotty welding... and construction...

That's weird. For ONE in the underside pics it looks like the primaries tubes (where they merge) is too far backwards. Then the picture of the collectors (where the header bolts to the head) that they welded some extra metal on. That's not normal. The stock Area P headers should be one continuous piece.
yeh the head side..is what i was talking about. i was thinking they were ALL that way:dunno:

if not, then

looks like someone hacked that together. im guessing it shifted, when they did. thats why its touching now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the noise from the exhaust is pretty crazy. It is a louder then i thought it would be, but its isn't bad. With all these jacked up AZ drivers, a loud pipe like this wont be so bad for me to have. Hopefully they'll hear me coming or going, even when they have that cell phone attached to their head. I still think its quieter then a lot of HD exhausts on the road IMO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow!!! Vex I didn't know you were Valentino Rossi!!! You should take that picture down before Yamaha sees it and gets mad cause even you Valentino Rossi love the new 250! Apparently more than your factory prepped race bikes even!!! :p My girlfriend left me home alone can you tell?:eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have to say that the construction of my AreaP was quite good. I'm sure if your pipe is touching all they will tell you to do is bend it a bit yourself. It's not that big of a deal since that's how they make it in the first place and not all bikes are exactly the same. Just make sure you have it connected to the engine completely. I also replaced my copper washers when I replaced my pipe so that when I recrush them I get a good seal.

·
Powerhungry
38,366 Posts
I have flu d that the construction of my AreaP was quite good. I'm sure if your pipe is touching all they will tell you to do is bend it a bit yourself. It's not that big of a deal since that's how they make it in the first place and not all bikes are exactly the same. Just make sure you have it connected to the engine completely. I also replaced my copper washers when I replaced my pipe so that when I recrush them I get a good seal.
bending it while its bolted up..im not sure thats such a good idea.

just asking to snap the bolts off, in the head.

AND, if you're able to just bend the headers away that easily...then yeh, its def not quality stuff....

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Good thing they didn't see you vex (aka Rossi). Your secret is safe with me!!!;)
:Laughing rolling:That was a quick joke :D . Kurosaki had that as his avatar FOREVER and another user was using his new avatar which was pissing him off (Gets confusing when two people post in threads with the same avatar)... So I used his old avatar to rub salt in the wound :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
well that sucks to hear that it is a bad quality part. My luck that i get the one bad one out of all the ones on this forum:(. Well, at least Area P has awesome customer service... i guess ill give Kelly a call tomorrow morning. no wonder i got my exhaust in 2 days from ordering...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts