Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised: LED taillight strips + pics!

I liked the idea amad had of running taillight strips with LED's and thought I'd kick it up a notch *bam*. I was debating on making lens strips so the light would show up as a true strips of light, but there's not a lot of room to work with above the mud flap. Therefore there's strips of LED's sticking through...

Confused? Here's the mudflap with the LED's

The strips in the middle only come on when the brake switch is depressed. Otherwise only the outer strips are lit.

A little from the side:

I think I'm just about done lighting up this bike (although I still have about 100 blue LED's kicking it :D ).

·
Registered
298 Posts
good job dude. but i noticed that your AreaP can is rotated and not sitting directly straight up and down. At least thats the way it looks in the picture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
VEX
those look awesome!!! i know your in cali so ...have you had any legal troubles with those so far??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice work, easy to wire?

Are those through the flap or on the surface? If they are through the flap is there any issue with water coming through?

Felix

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Thanks for the feedback all! I nodded out last night (err morning) at around 4am and woke to a many comments :D

good job dude. but i noticed that your AreaP can is rotated and not sitting directly straight up and down. At least thats the way it looks in the picture.
Jesus you noticed that? :D Yup it might be rotated a bit. The original bracket was slightly cracked when I got it (second hand) and after about a month broke. So I made another one out of sheet aluminum and that lasted about a month... And broke. I have an idea for the next one I just haven't made it yet ;)

VEX
those look awesome!!! i know your in cali so ...have you had any legal troubles with those so far??
I just got them in last night, but I don't anticipate having probs. It's not as if I'm doing anything illegal per se ;)

Nice work, easy to wire?

Are those through the flap or on the surface? If they are through the flap is there any issue with water coming through?

Felix
It was easy to wire, just tedious. Imagine having to solder a resistor onto 46 LED's, shrink tube each positive end on all 46 LED's, Solder each LED together... :D In actuality the removal of the mudflap was the easy part and that takes like 15-20 minutes.

No water issues yet, but I should be fine. Each LED hole is a TIGHT fit and I've put silicone behind each LED to hold it in and to waterproof it. I should've taken a picture behind the mudflap. It looks like black cat firecrackers when they come all stranded together in strips.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hot damn, Vex, you are a freaking stud! That looks so damn cool, and I really like the brake light effect!

Very Nice Job!!!

P.S. I noticed that you're license plate LED bolts are on the bottom of the plate shining up, rather than on the top shining down. Any reason for that?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I'd update this. After 2 months everything is still water-tight (Not a drop!). After the ONE (out of 46) LED that didn't light up (in the center brake-only strips) I investigated further. Turns out that I dropped that one in backwards. Suddenly about 3 weeks ago THAT one would light up, but none of the LED's behind it would. After I discovered the broken solder-point and that LED being the culprit I fixed it and... NEW PICS! :p

Without brake lights (Notice you can see the right turn signal without the brake reservoir there?)

They all light up now along with the running lights/turn signals being fully visible without the brake reservoir there. W00t!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Cylons are ATTACKING!!!! Run to the evacuation ships!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, looks very sweet. Though I have a feeling people might actually run into you from awe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

I couldnt face wiring each LED so I did it a little different, did my Targa kit at the same time.

Props to you Vex for giving us the idea.

Felix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts