Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're reading this, you're probably an experienced owner thinking "oh god, some tard bought a bike and doesn't know what he's doing." Well, you're 95% right. So lets get to it.
I have a 2013 Ninja 650. Bought it about a week ago, gorgeous bike, runs real smooth, LOVE it...... until.... the tard in me came out and I tried to swap out the grips for a more flashy set of ProGrips. Well, near the completion of the installation of the throttle grip, I noticed the throttle was sticking and wouldn't snap back. So, not hearing anything break or crack while I put the grip on, I knew it had to be the grip. Shaved off some of the excess rubber and viola! Snap back! Problem solved, or so I thought... Came time to put the stock bar end back on, and now the bar end wouldn't go on withough squeezing the rubber of the grip end. I noticed I still had about a 1/4 inch gap from the throttle assembly, so I tried my hardest to slide the grip closer....... that's when I heard it... the slightest, faintest...... crunch. My heart dropped and now I dont know what to do. Sorry for the long novel here, but typing seems to calm me down, and I'm trying not to freak out. So, here's the facts:

Throttle: Still technically works, takes about a half turn to start getting gas, have to manually roll off. Slight grinding noise, not very loud, have to know what you're listening for to hear it.
Status: Haven't taken it apart yet to inspect for broken wheel, kinked cable or any of that. Not sure what to expect if I do, so advice is MORE than welcome.
Grips: On, but right grip still sticking to bar end. Nothing a razor wont fix.
I am mechanically inclined although I have zero experience working on a motorcycle. I am an Avionics Technician so gears, servos, cables, screws nuts and bolts are no stranger. Just need to know whether to risk taking the housing off to inspect for damage, or chalk up my losses and go to the dealer and pray to GOD they don't charge me an arm and a leg for parts. Thanks in advance, and sorry for wasting your time reading this.

If you have specific info for me that will stop me from going to the dealer today, shoot me an email: [email protected]

·
Registered
331 Posts
First time I tried installing new grips, I tried shoving clutch-side kn throttle side... didn't work out too good but I learned my lesson for $9 (bought and installed second set easily).

I've never had the throttle stick and i haven't heard any snaps either. But i would definitely not ride with a throttle that sticks. You should take off your grips and inspect the plastic piece the grip is supposed to stick to. If that snaps back and doesn't stick the problem is probably in the grips.

Sent from some shady person's basement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First time I tried installing new grips, I tried shoving clutch-side kn throttle side... didn't work out too good but I learned my lesson for $9 (bought and installed second set easily).

I've never had the throttle stick and i haven't heard any snaps either. But i would definitely not ride with a throttle that sticks. You should take off your grips and inspect the plastic piece the grip is supposed to stick to. If that snaps back and doesn't stick the problem is probably in the grips.

Sent from some shady person's basement.
I'm 95% sure it's not the grip. Once I shaved off the excess rubber on the end that was touching the bar, it snapped back on it's own like it's supposed to. I'm worried about the crunch I heard. I'm also 95% positive it's inside the throttle housing and I can see the that cable doesn't move until I hit that 1/2 turn mark, so it's got to be something with the wheel or the cable. I'm about ready to take off the new grips and put the old ones back on because of how heart breaking this is, but if getting in to the housing is easy, I'll do that first. Just need to know what to expect when I open her up.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Holy crap, You're an avionics tech?

90% its the plastic throttle tube, 10% any or all other stuff, Housing, cables etc (Its the throttle tube)

Go to ronayers.com denniskirk.com cheapcycleparts.com and look up the parts fiche for your specific bike, you should be able to find a breakdown of the assembly is drawing form to show you how it all fits together, part numbers etc.

Should be a quick fix from there.

Ohh also look on ebay and find yourself a Kawasaki factory service manual, preferably the type that is a .PDF file on a cd/dvd-rom so its easy to index and search. With that you can do most anything to your bike given proper tools and reading comprehension.

GL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap, You're an avionics tech?

90% its the plastic throttle tube, 10% any or all other stuff, Housing, cables etc (Its the throttle tube)

Go to ronayers.com denniskirk.com cheapcycleparts.com and look up the parts fiche for your specific bike, you should be able to find a breakdown of the assembly is drawing form to show you how it all fits together, part numbers etc.

Should be a quick fix from there.

Ohh also look on ebay and find yourself a Kawasaki factory service manual, preferably the type that is a .PDF file on a cd/dvd-rom so its easy to index and search. With that you can do most anything to your bike given proper tools and reading comprehension.

GL!
Thanks for the advice, I've already started looking for the service manual for my bike, and I would prefer to have it before I start working on anything, but I am just trying to figure out if I can take the housing apart without something that is unexpectedly spring loaded shooting out at me when I take the case off. If it's easy to open up and look at, I am comfortable taking it apart methodically and am pretty good about being able to put stuff back together after I've taken it apart. I was afraid I crunched the tube on the inside of the housing and I just need to see for myself before I make a repair decision. Thanks for those websites!!!!! I'll get on that as soon as I get off work today.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Take the grip back off and look at the throttle tube, simple.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have always use wd 40 or something like it so they go on smooth hope u r not riding with a broken throttle tube or a sticking one..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always use wd 40 or something like it so they go on smooth hope u r not riding with a broken throttle tube or a sticking one..
No, not riding around with it. I test rode it after the incident to make sure that if I needed to, I could ride it up to the dealer 3 miles away, but haven't ridden it since then. And I used alcohol (what the instructions said) and they went on just fine, at lot easier than I expected, but by the time I got to the bar ends, they had already started to dry making moving them damn near impossible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah it happens to us all one time or another.. Take a small straw if it happens again like a wd straw and shoot some fluid in there it should break loose to move it more.. Good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The easiest way to move the grips once they are on there is if you have an air compressor, you just use the blower nozzle attachment and shoot some air under the edge of the grip while you move and reposition or remove it.

Take it apart and look at it. Based on your description of you mechanical abilities, you won't mess it up! There shouldn't be anything in there that would shoot out as you take it apart. It's basically a plastic tube with a couple cables routed into the housing.

Also, here is the diagram: http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50aa3758f8700226a41462da/handlebar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone who gave a damn enough to offer advice! I took your advice and I'm laughing at myself for being afraid of this thing!!! Found the issue. When I pressed on the grip to get it to slide up AFTER it dried, I put pressure on the wheel the top cable sits on and it fell off the wheel. Glad I didn't ride it like that because it was grinding the wheel ever so slightly. I put the cable back on and we're back in business. Don't know how it's supposed to look BEFORE a guy like me messes it up, but there seems to be a tiny tiny TINY kink in the cable. That might cause it to come off again (knowing my luck) so I'll be taking it to a dealer in a couple days to get it inspected. Other than that, I shaved the grip down a bit so the bar end doesn't touch, and she works like a beauty again. Thanks again everyone. I'm sure I'll have more mechanical blunders in the future (knowing my luck) for you to laugh at and hopefully offer the same help! Later!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't feel to bad. I cracked my air box changing the air filter cause I missed a screw. Happens to all of us.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Also, Air compressor trick works great.

Also a friend swears by this old dirtbike trick. you cut the old grips off, take the throttle tube off and spray the outside with silver spray paint and slide the new grip on. when the paint dries overnight it glues the new rubber firmly in place. trim off the excess and reinstall and you're in business.

Never done it but it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I have always used an air compressor to zip the grips on and off, works really slick. I also safety wire my grips on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts