Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed my ASV levers (both long). I wanted to post my experience with the install. First of all, I'm a novice when it comes to installs. I would say that I'm a 3.5 out of 10 when it comes to skill level. I did many searches to get a comfort level to see if it's an install I can handle, but didn't find anything bike specific. This install turned out to be incredibly easy. Took me 45 mins to do...should've took 25 mins tops if I wasn't so anal. I didn't take pics of the install because it's so easy. However, I do have a couple of tips:

- The brake lever is very straight forward. Watch this video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydSYQF8WhE .

Tips: The ASV instructions tells you to change the plunger rod. However that is NOT necessary because the rod is actually too short, so skip that step. Also if you're very anal, buy some locktite before your install. The "list of tools needed" doesn't mention it, but suggest you use some if you can.

- The clutch was what made me nervous, but it wasn't too bad. Just check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTcBDi8-7AY .

Tips: You need a 10mm DEEP socket otherwise you won't be able to reach the nut. When flipping the clutch lever during install, try flipping it the opposite direction if you need to fight it (didn't figure this out till later :banghead:) Having a pair of needle nose pliers is helpful, but not mandatory.

Now for the review:
I gotta say...these levers are pretty darn pricey, but boy are they worth their weight in gold! I'm a small guy (5'3) with small hands (alright hold the jokes) and these levers are a godsend! I rode with them today in traffic for almost an hour and did low speed manuevers in the parking lot and they definately gave me much more control and confidence by moving the "friction zone" closer to me. Frankly I can't figure why these aren't standard when you purchase the bike. :headscratch:

I bought these levers from www.motomummy.com and their shipping is free and lighting fast even to Hawaii! Got my levers in 4 days! When purchasing, I was deciding between the Pazzo's and ASV's. I decided to go with ASV's because of the warranty guaranteeing against breakage and the extreme adjustability all for just an addition $20 more in price. My take on it is that the numerous adjustability was worth it. Suprising what a small fraction can make for comfort. Once again, I think aftermarket performance levers are a "must have mod" no matter what brand you go with!

BTW, the long levers are almost an inch shorter than the OEM's.

Here's the finished product:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the looks. I would really like to see the short on the bike as well. But those look hot.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have the same levers on my '07 and actually "tried them out" at the track last week. No I didn't crash. When I came in to the pits, a friend helped me put my bike up on the rear stand, well it wasn't on there correctly and the bike fell off and fell over.

Thankfully there was absolutely no damge, not a scratch to anything other than a sponsor sticker on the swingarm got ruffled. But the brake lever would have bent if not for the folding ASV lever.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looks good, I've been looking at the same ones for my 07.

·
Registered
82 Posts
those look badass... i almost bought them for my silver/red 07 then i saw that they cost $200 :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Levers

Bro. Great looking bike and levers.

I bought the exact same bike and bought Pazzo levers instead. Same colour levers (black regulars with the red dial).

Will put them on this weekend.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Those look really good, I was really close to buying earlier. I'll probably put some on my next bike. They look great on your bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts