Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local AMA race last weekend, and there were a number of 636 racers and talked to all of their mechanic and engine guys about that. I bought a case of mobil 1 15w50 and was waiting until 2000, but they all said that on a street bike, 1500 mi. was alright. I have 1250 and am waiting to get to 1500, then change the filter and go to full synth from petroleum oil. I wanted to go to semi-synth, but I can't find silkolene semi-synth around here, and all the rest are questionable on how much synth is in the rest from what I hear. So I'm going to ful synth at 1500 mi.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I put mobile 1's MX4T oil in about 1500 miles. I felt that it was ok considering the break in that I did. I was taking near redline after only about 300 miles on it. They I way I figure if it ain't broke in yet, it's not gonna be.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Also, just wanted everyone to know, after searching many places I found the absolute cheapest place for mobil one 15w50 at BJ's wholesale. It's like sams club. It's only $3.99 a quart there.

I like my bike fast... and my women even faster!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i dont understand why it is bad to put in too fast. my car came with synthetic right from the factory, my seals set perfect, and i changed to full synthtetic at 1000 miles on my first 96 zx, never had a problem then when i bought my 01, i did the same, and no problems here. i would say just put it in. btw, moble 1 is great, i have it in both my vehicles

jimmy

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommyboy, went to Wal-Mart and picked up a six pack of mobil 1 15w50 for 23 bucks. That's a little less than at BJ's.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have heard so many great things about mobil one 15w50 So I am going to try it. I have 3,000 miles now on my 03 zx6r. I was going to put it in at 2,000 but many people told me it's too early for the bike. When is the best time to go full? 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, 5,000, or more?????

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am planning to change to Mobil 1 15-50 at 1000 miles. Paid 3.99 a qt on sale at Kragens Auto Parts.

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Brucelee, hmmmm..isn't changing over at 1,000 miles cutting it a little short. I hear that as soon as you change to full synth. it completly stops the break in period. I know that after 1000 miles you can now go whatever RPM you want but your bike still isnt completely broken in. Also I noticed HUGE power gains from 1,000 miles to 3,000 miles. I know I gained a ton of HP durring those miles. So I wonder if someone changes to full synth, if they will still get that extra gain in HP durring those miles?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would wait until atleast 3000 miles....

I'm swtiching to Synthetic with my next oil change...I'm over 4200 miles right now...I figure my bike is done doing what it has to do...

I also noticed a little HP gain or what felt like at after 1000miles....not sure if this is any idication that a bike isn't broken it yet, but beter safe than sorry I suppose....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i dont see how switching from non-syth tro a full synth would stop the breakin period. i always used full stynth on drag motors for cars that ive built and ive also swithched mid breakin without any harm to the motors....
i swithced at 500 mi...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont know what to make of this. My corvette came with mobil one in it as all do. There are c4 vettes out there with 250K miles on there engines running like champs. They use Mobil One in the race c5s that win daytona and sebring.

So, I am not sure why this would be an issue for my 6r. Yet I too have read this concern about retarding break in. But only in the MC world. Do we know why this is so?

thanks for input all!

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.