Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On highways and freeways, what speed do you get up to before you start tucking in behind the windscreen? Let's say, under normal wind conditions? How about under high wind conditions?

I was on the way to work this morning and I was going 100 mph and I wasn't tucked in yet, I was leaning a bit forward than normal but I felt the bike start getting into small little hints of speed wobble and it freaked me out a bit.

MANGO

·
Registered
857 Posts
whenever the wind presure on me or my helmet is tog reat to not tuck...if i am slowing down coming to traffic or somthign ill untuck if im goign fast to help slow down...just tuck when you want when the wind is to much for you...i had the biggfest tuck goin on last nite 276km/h now that pummels you even in a tuck...the other day i saw a guy in a full tuck doin maybe 90km/h in an 80 on a nice day no wind i was like wtf...

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Around 90mph I start tucking. But that's only when I know that I can tuck for a while...if there are cars ahead of me I won't bother.

Tucking always gets me into trouble. You really don't know just how fast you're going when you're tucked cause you can't feel the wind. I'll be going along in my tucked position and look down and see that I'm doing 120mph...

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Sometimes I just tuck because.. The general riding position you're in when you're tucked is sometimes a welcome change from the normal upright riding position. Sometimes if I've been riding for hours and hours, my back will start hurting, and if I'm going moderately fast I'll tuck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha, yeah, I kindda share LeanLow's observations about guys tucked in at 65mph on a clear day. I'm like, "huh? am I missing something?"

When you guys tuck in, do you tuck in your elbows too like closer to the side of the tank and roll in/slouch your shoulders inward instead of square like during normal riding to minimize your profile to wind rush?

I've seen guys even put their feet up way back there where the passenger pegs are to really stretch and slant themselves out. I dunno about this, I kindda find it hokey or something. Anybody else doing this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
well i've tucked at 65 before to save gas...imagine riding down the road with a big flat board sticking into the wind, that why i tuck when its safely possible, ie the interstate or a long faily straight road where i know i am not going to be changing direction quickly.

so i guess i tuck when ever possible

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by cheetahflyer
well i've tucked at 65 before to save gas...
I could be wrong, but I doubt that helps much. If you are that concerned with MPG, you should be on a Vespa.

I usually tuck when I am being silly on the bike.

--David

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by MANGOSTENE
Ha ha, yeah, I kindda share LeanLow's observations about guys tucked in at 65mph on a clear day. I'm like, "huh? am I missing something?"

When you guys tuck in, do you tuck in your elbows too like closer to the side of the tank and roll in/slouch your shoulders inward instead of square like during normal riding to minimize your profile to wind rush?

I've seen guys even put their feet up way back there where the passenger pegs are to really stretch and slant themselves out. I dunno about this, I kindda find it hokey or something. Anybody else doing this?
I once saw someone tuck at 60mph while I was stuck at a red light and he was goin in the opposite direction. Seeing cars pass a tucked motorcyclist always makes me laugh...

When I tuck, I pull my elbows in close to the tank so that I can rest my hands. Shoulders don't really touch.

If I'm tucked and I know I won't be needing my feet at all, I move them way back. Not to the passenger pegs (because I removed my passenger pegs) but my toes will be on the very back edge of the front pegs.

·
Powerhungry
38,162 Posts
it depends on the day, the temp and what not. it seems some days the wind is worse(choppy) than other days.
but usually on my zx6r, never below 100. but on my r1 80-85. the wind buffets terribly bad on that bike at that speed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sometimes when on the highway just to try it.... haven't really been fast enough to need it yet. But a half tuck did a nice job blowing the water off my faceshield when I got caught in some rain last weekend.

·
Powerhungry
38,162 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Mike
Sometimes when on the highway just to try it.... haven't really been fast enough to need it yet. But a half tuck did a nice job blowing the water off my faceshield when I got caught in some rain last weekend.
try turning your head. the water runs to the sides and right off. works pretty good. need to be 65+ tho.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I tuck at about 100-110MPH. Only because I hate the jacket slap on my sides.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.