Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode this past weekend in NJ and have to admit that it was pretty scary especially on Saturday with wind gusts between 50-60 miles. I was on the turnpike and found myself leaning quite a bit even on the straights. What made it worse was the sudden changes in wind direction which kept me below 75 although it felt stabler with speed. Thought I had mastered the wind with frequent trips across the hudson river bridges but obviously hadn't.

Curious if wind speed factors in your decisions to ride?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Rode today with wind gusts to 40-50 mph ( as they said ), wasn't too bad. But I thought about it before riding, so I'd say it factors my decision to ride.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There's a topic just down the page about this subject

·
Registered
247 Posts
Heh... If it sunny dry ill head out but as soon as i dont feel 100% comfortable ill turn around and head home. if i ned to be somewhere theres always the cage

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We had very strong wind gusts ( up to 50 mph) here and I saw a lot of harley and cruiser guys out. It seems like the cruiser guys have more balls when it comes to rainy/cold/windy weather than the sport riders do. I'm not really sure why that is, maybe because they are heavier and enjoy riding slow.

I wouldn't go on large highways and try to take some of the bridges off of Long Island under heavy winds, but I would stay local and ride the back roads which are a bit more protected. I'd be worried about garbage cans and branches flying in front of me.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
wind dont bother me. its pretty cool to go straight down the road and the bike is leaned over like im going thru a curve lol. dont do wheeli's in the wind tho.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by TakeItEasy
I rode this past weekend in NJ and have to admit that it was pretty scary especially on Saturday with wind gusts between 50-60 miles. I was on the turnpike and found myself leaning quite a bit even on the straights. What made it worse was the sudden changes in wind direction which kept me below 75 although it felt stabler with speed. Thought I had mastered the wind with frequent trips across the hudson river bridges but obviously hadn't.

Curious if wind speed factors in your decisions to ride?
you're crazy if you rode this weekend - especially Sunday. Sunday was crazy...I couldn't even stand up straight without being blown all over the place.

the most dangerous part of wind, as you point out, is the changing direction. if it keeps hitting you from the same direction, it aint so bad. but when you're leaning one way and the wind hits you from the other way....you're screwed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In some parts of the country, high winds and insane crosswind gusts are the norm. I rode in this morning on an interstate with 30mph winds and not so fun crosswinds. Riding with wind comes with practice. You don't learn it overnight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Falcon:

I was riding home from Jersey City that Saturday and didn't realize how bad it was until I hit the turnpike between 13 and 14. For some reason that stretch that runs parallel to the Newark airport runways is always most vulnerable to high winds. My thinking was it'd get better once through the stretch but it just got worse. Funny thing is I went riding again on Sunday which was just as bad except it was all local and not on the highway so slightly better, not much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hickman;

Agreed, definitely not overnight as I didn't notice any increased level of confidence between getting on the bike and getting off about 60 miles later. It was more like a relief.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rockstar:

Yeah it most be easier on the slower bikes. Tell you what though, didn't see any of them last weekend over here in Jersey.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Originally posted by rockstar84
We had very strong wind gusts ( up to 50 mph) here and I saw a lot of harley and cruiser guys out. It seems like the cruiser guys have more balls when it comes to rainy/cold/windy weather than the sport riders do. I'm not really sure why that is, maybe because they are heavier and enjoy riding slow.

I wouldn't go on large highways and try to take some of the bridges off of Long Island under heavy winds, but I would stay local and ride the back roads which are a bit more protected. I'd be worried about garbage cans and branches flying in front of me.

I for one can hold my dads vtx into any wind, it goes right through it for some reason, but as soon as i jump on the 6r i feel like a piece of paper being thrown around..

·
Registered
277 Posts
maybe the vTX wieghs twice as much....I usualy quit riding when the wind becomes a visible cone shaped entity...at which point i lay the bike down in a nice road ditch and lay on top of it for protection....then when the funnel cloud goes on its merry way......i get back on ,ride like hell and catch up to it....then curse it for interupting my ride....j/k....seriously i live in nebraska and there are few days here without wind. 20-30 mph isnt all that out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Practice in winds at slower speeds and over time at higher speeds as your skill & confidence builds. Don't push it too fast, it'll come to you over time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts