Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright heres the deal! So i know kawi's run hot thats just the way it is it seems like. My bike was hitting like 230 240 in traffic. My fan works i know my water pump works. So i took my thermo out because i thought maybe that was the problem. It's so hot here it doesnt really matter if it is in or not. It has been staying cooler than before but last weekend i went on a ride with 3 other gsxr's up to Prescott and jerome everything was going great but on the I17 back to phoenix we stopped for a break my bike was off and hit like 235 parked then i jumped on it and rode hit it hard for probably another ten miles and checked my temp it was 243 at 95 mph i dont think it should get that damn hot on the freeway. Is that normal in this climate or am i just paranoid? Should i panic at that temp or just let it go? What are other phoenix bikes running at?
fan works
good on coolant and i have wet wetter in it
bike is geared down 1 tooth in rear rpms at 95 to 100 about 9 to 9.5

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I don't know about the 600's but my 10R only runs about 200-202 when I'm riding, will hit as high as 238 when in stop and go if it is 110 plus outside. Sounds like you're running a bit hot to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah well here is the thing i was running at like 209 before we stopped. But when we took off again i was running at like 240 and it would not cool down it hit 245 then i just back off and rolled at like 65 for 15 miles and it hovered at like 235-238. Should i wrap my exhaust all the way up the headers would that help?

·
Powerhungry
38,395 Posts
water wetter...isnt that the stuff that doesnt make any difference? shit, i get them confused....

how many bugs do you have clogging the RAD? even partially clogged, will be a significant decrease in cooling capacity.

and put the stat back in, or put a new stat in, if it makes you feel better. the coolant needs to be IN the rad for a specific amount of time. if your running it through TOO fast(i/e no stat), it wont be in there long enough to properly cool down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was definitely not seeing the 240's this past weekend and neither was a buddy of mine who rides the notoriously hot RC51.

I was around 215-220 stopped.

Less than 2 bills on the go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i'm about out of ideas. I will clean the radiator to see if that makes a difference but what are thoughts on wrapping the exhaust all the way up the headers to the block? Does that engine ice stuff help out here any?

·
Registered
187 Posts
do you have a slip on exhaust and do you have a pc3?
also won't the heat rap up near the header make the exhaust hotter> it needs air to cool and suck out the heat as the air blow threw

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am down in Tucson and in traffic during the heat of the summer i will see some 230 temps and a 235 spike when stopped. On the open road maybe 210 and thats when i'm runnin her pretty hard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Put the thermostat back in!

First, put the thermostat back in. With the thermostat removed the coolant flows too fast to effectively remove heat from the engine. Meaning the engine was significantly hotter than the temperatures you were seeing on your temp gauge. That is why the temp was so high after you stopped. The coolant was in contact with engine surfaces long enough to remove some heat from the engine.

Second, try Water Wetter. Many have had good luck with it reducing high summer coolant temps.

Lastly, there are numerous posts in the 03/04 forum about the high running temp of the 05/06 (because they used to be in one forum). Mine routinely runs 238 ° or higher in summer traffic. While that is hot it's not excessively so.

When you start approaching 245 ° and up is when it's time to get worried. If it gets over 250 ° that last thing you want to do is stop. When the coolant starts reaching overheating temperatures stopping causes it to boil over because it is no longer flowing and no longer receiving airflow to cool it. The best thing to do is get out of traffic where you can ride uninterrupted allowing for some consistent flow to cool things down.

If you're worried about the exhaust the best thing to do is remove the stock system and get rid of that catalytic converter. It is placed directly under the crankcase/transmission and can't be good for engine temperature since the catalytic converter doesn't reach it's operating temperature until 600 °F.

Good luck, and I'd recommend changing the oil after running it without a thermostat since you really don't know how hot it was getting since the cooling system wasn't functioning properly.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I recommend engine ice. It's is a methyl-glycol based coolant additive and it helps keep temps down 10-15ish degrees. Running hot in Phoenix is normal though. These bike were designed in Japan, not the desserts of the South West. The only time there is a real cause for concern, is when the coolant boils over and out of the resrvior. Then the bike is over heating.

Also, it is normal for the radiator to boil in the res. then cool and siphon the res. back into the system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright thanks guys. I will buy a new thermo and put it back in. I have a muzzy exhaust for the guy who asked. I will try flushing the coolant and put that engine ice in. Anyways thanks alot i just wanted to know what other people around here were running because this climate is unlike any other around the country. I'll try all that stuff and if it doesnt work then i will just look around the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts