Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't what to start the "great debate"...so keep it short and simiple....is anyone using Moble 1 Autobile Syn Oil in their 636?...if so have you noticed any clutch slippage ?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
i wouldn't. it has 'anti friction modifiers' in it that are supposed to help car engines, not bikes. im sure other members will give more technical descriptions. i think there was even a debate on here a while ago, but i dont remember.

BTW, where in San Diego are you? I am looking at apartments that are about a mile from SDSU. Is this a good area? I want to be near jobs, nightlife, etc. Not sure if this is the right area to be looking. any suggestions?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Pacfic Beach...alot of students live here....bars and parties...PB cost alot to live..most people have room mates....I don't know much about around the college area..don't really go there...as far as I am concerned it is the "east coast"...east of Ingraham Street (local joke) I stay at the beach...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I can't believe people are still saying it has friction modifiers in it. monil one 15w50 full synth. does not. IT is 100% perfectly fine for mtorcycles. I'd go as far as to say that 90% of the riders that I know (who actually know anything about bikes) use it. Very few oils have those friction modifiers in it and if it does they are usually verry low viscosity lik3 5w20 ect. I dont think any of the oils over a __w40 have it in them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by scum182

I live in Pacfic Beach...alot of students live here....bars and parties...PB cost alot to live..most people have room mates....I don't know much about around the college area..don't really go there...as far as I am concerned it is the "east coast"...east of Ingraham Street (local joke) I stay at the beach...

what the hell!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pick up the Oct. 2003 issue of Sportrider and read their Oil comparo. Especially the next to last paragraph, where it says,

"We did, however, unequivocally answer a few questions. For one, most name-brand motorcycle-specific oils are indeed different than common automotive oils, even within the same brand, debunking a common myth. Mobil One automotive oil is definitely different than its motorcycle-specific version. The same is true for the three oils provided by Castrol, showing that both companies have different goals when formulating their automotive and motorcycle products. Whether they perform better- despite the data we've gathered-is still a matter of opinion."

Oh yeah, and Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil contains 92 ppm of Moly (a friction modifier). Mobil MX4T Motorcycle oil contains an undetectable amount. [8D] FYI. Get the article. It's pretty good.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tommyboynjataol...like I said it is a local joke..Ingraham is a main north south street in PB so if you are east of it you are from the east coast..ie Not the beach...

I read the Sport Bike review...basicly that is what I am trying to find out...does 92 ppm of Moly (a friction modifier)in Mobil One make you clutch slip..which I understand the main draw back to running this type of oil...I do run it in my Harley but the engine oil, trans oil (I use Mobil One gear oil in it) and the primary (I run primary oil in it) are seperate.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't think it will, but then I'm not willing to find out. I just spend a little extra $$ and get the right stuff the first time.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
What is the price of a quart of Mobil 15w50? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
The price, now that would vary from store to store.
It will cost more then plain dyno oil, but is less then motorcycle specific oil.

Tons of us use the Mobil1 15w50 automobile oil. This grade does not bear the "energy conserving" designation, and is fine for our bikes clutches.
Now use one the same brand oil, but in a grade that is energy conserving, and you'll notice the clutch clip.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
There is a real good test for this... Put it in your bike, ride around, if nothing is wrong or unusual, leave it. Change it often with the same junk, and you wont have any problems... You'll rarely see a bike with motor troubles unless somethng else was majorly wrong, ei- coolant leak into oil which could spin bearings.. Everyone gets so caught up in this debate, remember it all goes through the same tests and alot of what you listen to is marketing bullshit, pick one and stick with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been using mobile1 15w50 in my 636 and so far so good, i like it! I havent noticed any clutch slippage and my bike seems to love it to, because she responds as soon as i ask her to. Its up to you on what you are going to believe, but take it from people that actually use it-go for it,you wont be disappointed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.