Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows that those sliders that bolt to the fairing are only for show. You gotta get to the engine mount to get a good grip (and save your fairings!!!) The hole you have to drill (on 98-02 at least) is well worth it.

Problem is that our engine mounts are deep behind teh fairing, so a regular slider wouldnt stick out far enough. And here comes this little company called Megatron UK to the rescue!

i ordered sliders from them and they were too short. So I told em and they made some special elongated ones free of charge! Total, including shipping from UK, was about $65, well worth it! They provided great service and could of just left my ass w/ the short ones. If you get sliders from them, tell em you want the longer specially made ones...and I even got them to take PayPal as payment(the bank wire transfer would cost another $40, paypal is free). Check em out at http://www.megatronuk.co.uk/frameset.htm . And btw, they call frame sliders "crash bobbins" .

This is by far teh best company that Ive dealt with!

you can check out some pics of them oon my bike: http://web.njit.edu/~vnp2271/yura/DSC00575.JPG
http://web.njit.edu/~vnp2271/yura/DSC00576.JPG
http://web.njit.edu/~vnp2271/yura/DSC00577.JPG
and a short video of them: http://web.njit.edu/~vnp2271/yura/MOV00624.MPG

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I just bought an '03 636. Will I have the same problem when I buy my sliders? By the way, I've been looking around to get them, where can I get it for the fairer price?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sorry, one last question on sliders... do they affect the performance of the bike? For example, wind drag. Also, the warranty and insurance say that some alterations to the bike will void the warranty, are sliders one of those items? I'd assume that insurance would appreciate it if sliders were put on the bike.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
heres what they do...

/forum/uploads/arturo3rd/sliders.jpg

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by Blue636

I just bought an '03 636. Will I have the same problem when I buy my sliders? By the way, I've been looking around to get them, where can I get it for the fairer price?
I also have the 636, and they still use the same sliders as the ones before. Mine are installed thru the fairing and actually pulled out during a 15mph crash. They are mostly for if you're bike is knocked over in a parking lot or such. The more the speed increases, the more the damage, but it will reduce it over not having the sliders. I am working on making my own that will actually be extensions from the engine mounts, which should be sturdier. A company called Freestyle Ingenuity makes extended sliders for the 98-02 ZX6r and is working on the 03s. They also make crash cages which will protect your bike much better. This is something that is more for a stunt bike, but will work on a street bike if you plan on wrecking more often than some! There is a link to Freestyle from my site www.SportbikeLinks.net
The extended sliders are $100 and the crash cages are $275.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought the 636 solved the problem? about the insurance stuff and winddrag, dotn worry about it at all..ist nothing

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Nilsonov, in your video I noticed a dent in your frame on the right side. How is that holding up? I also had a very minor one from a lowside - bike fell on the right, inverted and slid into a curb - but it was mainly just the frame's paint.

Just curious how it happend to yours and if it affected you bike at all. I had mine filled in and repainted.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yup, he fake sliders are pretty much usless except for oppps < 5 mph.

BTW, if you are in Ontario/Canada, check out Crashburn (he's in London) at www.osrclub.com's forum. He and OSR sells/installs them (cut fairings/relocated rad overflow and all).

I dunno about you guys. but I'm a big wimp about cutting fairings...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Grab a smaller rad overflow bottle if you can (I got one off a two stroke 350, used for $5 CAD). No biggie if you can't.

Take the stock bottle/replacement bottle and put it under your gas tank. You just have to re-route the hoses a bit from going from teh rad to your left side of the bike to under your tank (make sure no hoses are pinched). Easy as pie.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Striker, that dent is from the guy that had it before me. Its tiny and didnt affect anything except for making that black mark.

As for teh coolant tank, what I did was drill a ahole in it and seal it w/ a PVC pipe. Just had to get the right diameter and cut it to the right shape w/ a dremel to nicely fit the tank. I used some superseal stuff from home depot to seal it. It said it was gas/oil/coolant resistant. But its very IMPORTANT to scrape of the paint around the part that youll be appliying the sealant, otherwise coolant gets under the paint and leaks. After fixing that I had no problems.

Some people told me epoxy would be fine, others told me it wasnt, but now taht I think about it its probly jsut as good if not better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.