Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a ZX636 B1H 2003, just yesterday when i was riding, intermittently the bike was dying as if someone had flicked the emergency cut off switch. I noticed that if i switched the cut off switch off then back on again the bike came back to life. I took the tank off etc yesterday and fiddled with wires, took the cut off switch apart and fiddled with that but i still cant recreate the problem with it standing still. Now it seamed to me that it was cutting out when i hit bumps thus i thought it was a loose connection but i cant find it anywhere.
I had a Power Commander and Dyno'd about 3 months back but its been fine until yesterday, only yesterday this started happening. Could the Power Commander be dodgy? if it was would this cause the bike to die as if the cut off had been used???? Please help as im baffled and dont really want to have to spend the money on an auto electrician unless i have to. Any advice / tests i can try i will be more than happy.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
there has been a few instances where the PcIII's have intermittedly cut out, or even lost data. Simple solution is to disconnect it and see if the bike still does it

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ive got the same bike year and problem. Mine appears to misfire across all cylinders at different revs sometimes 4 - 5 sometimes 8 - 9000. I have disconnected the PC, just need to test ride it now but 2nd child on the way so its finding time. If that does't cure it then will be checking the sidestand switch for continuity to see if that has a fault (too much chain oil affecting the contacts causing the engine to cut maybe)
Anyway if you sort yours before me let me know:)
Goodluck

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '05 and I'm almost certain now it's my pcIII usb. Mine died just cruising at 55 one day last year, and lately, the mid-high end is horrible. I re-mapped the bike to stock, but the problem is still there. After an insane amount of tedious checks, I am almost certain it's the power commander. My bike is stripped right now getting ready to put the 2 brothers slip-on on. So while I'm at it, I figure I'll tear that commander out. The worst part about all this is admitting defeat to a 600rr...We launched a few nights ago, and it wasn't even a race...I lost by 20+ bike lengths in a 1/4 mile. Enough is enough! It's like after 8K in 1st, it just falls on it's face. After I get everything done, I'll let ya know what I've found out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check this out, i took the bike out Sunday for a hell of a good horsing and could i hell get it to cut out. Im puzzled now, i will have to wait and see if it happens next weekend. I have been told by a number of people about the power commanders so if it happens again i will disconnect that and try again. I only had it fitted 2 months ago with a rolling road re-map so maybe the PC3 is about to pack in, it was second hand!. I will keep you posted... Roll on the new bike. Its sods law that i only decided last month that i was going to trade it in for a litre bike...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i don't have a pc3 on mine and i've been having the same problems.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had a problem befroe on mine where it would cut out at 10,000rpm+, I went and replaced the fuel pump which solved it soon after.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the same problem. It was the kickstand switch. Mine would run fine at idle, but when riding for about 10 minutes the bike would cut out. I could actually hear the fuel pump turning off and on. It was the kickstand switch. Swap yours out with a friends and see if that is the solution. It's very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There is another item that gave me fits and kept my bike in the shop for almost 4 months.

The Cam Position Sensor on the right front side of the head have been known to go bad causing mid to high rpm misfires. When it is out of sync the ecm goes into the last known good cam position reading and uses that as the cam position and it causes random misfires due to the incorrect timing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if it's a kickstand switch would the bike still crank but not start? I would think if it's the kickstand switch it wouldn't even crank because the bike would think that the kickstand was down. If my kickstand was down my bike won't crank. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks now and they've been waiting on a diagnostic tool which they just found out was on back order. I'm getting a little pissed off!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.