Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds pretty scary...Something that will be in the back of your mind. Bleed them yet?

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
No. Ive never touched my brakes. I thought you only had to bleed them once you changed them?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try bleeding them. Couldn't hurt. Just wondering if air got in there some how. This was passed on to me. Here ya go if it helps any...

http://www.speedbleeder.com

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
OK. This has happened to me twice this week! I have an '02 with 5,000+ miles on it and it had never done this before. I checked the brake fluid and everything looks fine. Both times that it has happened it has been right when I take off. I get down to the corner stop and Wham! I apply pressure to the back brake and it goes all the way down. I stop with the front and pump the back a couple of times until it catches. Once I do that everything seems to be fine.

I would hate for this to happen in an emergency situation.

Anyone?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
put the rear wheel on a stand and spin it. apply the rear brake and look at the caliper to make sure its compressing the rotor. like mr.ed said, it might be air since you do have to pump the brake.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
sounds similar to when a rider gets headshake, then the front brakes wont work until you pump them a bit.
I wonder if your pads/calipers are coming away from the disc while its sitting, so you need to pump it to get them back in contact.

Like arturo said, put it on the rear stand after its been sitting for a while, and see if there is a lot of seperation from the rotor. They should be almost (if not) touching the rotor.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"sounds similar to when a rider gets headshake, then the front brakes wont work until you pump them a bit.
I wonder if your pads/calipers are coming away from the disc while its sitting, so you need to pump it to get them back in contact.
"

exactly what i was thinking.....I bet this is it cause I doubt you got air in your lines if you never did any brake work....now the question is how do you fix it...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
best bet is to get a bleeder pump<---you know what i mean right?

the disconnect the brake line from the rear calipers. connect the hose, wait...just use the manufacturers instructions, they explain it better with pics. the bleede runs about $10 at walmart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.