Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my second trip to the dragon and it was even better than the first time. I have gotten better at riding since then and was more familiar with the roads so I was a lot more aggresive this time out. There were a couple scary moments but overall I think I rode pretty well. Unfortunetly one of the guys I went with went down. He rides an 06 Honda cbr1000rr. It was the last run of the day, just starting to get dark. We were on our way back to the resort from the Overlook, I left a minute or so behind our group because I didn't want to run into traffic. About 2/3 of the way there he just totaly missed a turn. I came up on him and there were already a couple guys on busas along with one of Killboys friends (who was driving Darryl's Lancer EVO) helping him pick up his bike. It was strange because he is a good rider (10+ years) and the turn was real easy. 318 turns on the Dragon to go down at and he picks that one, I still don't understand how it happened. He was wearing his gear of course so he wasn't hurt too bad but it could have been bad. Those of you that have been there know how steep the slope is if you go off the road, 3 ft to the right and we might still be looking for him. I'll post up some pics when I get them downloaded.

Oh yeah, a fucked up thing happened earlier in the day too. We were riding down 28, another great road over there that intersects with 129 (the Dragon). There were a goup of about 15 Harley riders we came up on. They must have been a "club" because they were all wearing the same cute t shirts (no gear of course). I was leading our group of three and I proceeded to pass them in the straights a couple at a time. I felt like I was being safe and there were no issues until I came to their macho "Leader." When I went to pass him he swerves over into the other lane to block me. He does it a couple times and then I finally just gunned it past him. He tried the same shit with the guys behind me. My buddy actually had to lock up his brakes to avoid hitting him. And then we he did get around him, the asshole tried to kick him. I couldn't believe there are jerks out there like that who would endanger people lives because they think they are too tough to be passed. I guess nobody informed him that everyone is suppose to get along at the Gap.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Were you passing while riding within the speed limit? If not then there's your probably why otherwise he probably was just trying to fuck with you. I've yet to run into a harley rider that was out to kill people but I've met many that liked to fuck with people whether on the road, in a bar, or anywhere.

Sorry bout your friend that went down though, what was his excuse er I mean explanation for what happened. How'd he miss the turn? Was he daydreaming, sight-seeing, or checking out some hot chick passing by?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Pics Floejoe...show us the pics!! :D

Glad you had fun...I'm sure it was a blast.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you passing while riding within the speed limit?
Of course not. But what does that matter? I didn't do anything to endanger them with my speed. I waited for safe places and picked them off a few at a time. It is widely known and accepted rule up there that if someone is faster than you, move over and let them through. Most Harley riders there understand this and are cool enough to wave you by. I guess these guys didn't get the memo.

Sorry bout your friend that went down though, what was his excuse er I mean explanation for what happened. How'd he miss the turn? Was he daydreaming, sight-seeing, or checking out some hot chick passing by?
He didn't give one really. It was late in the day after riding for several hours and I think he was just tired. We were about to load up the bikes and I wanted to make one more pass through, he nearly stayed behind but decided to take one more too. I guess its like drinking, sometimes one more is one too many. You have to stay 100% focused on the Dragon for the entire 11 miles, if you doze off for even a second, your in trouble. Thats what makes the road so fun, but it can be mentally and physically exhausting.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics Floejoe...show us the pics!!

Glad you had fun...I'm sure it was a blast.
Here is the only one I got right now, I'll post the others soon as I get them. BTW, thats John in the pic, the guy who went down. This was on the way there, we were all pretty excited. He wasn't in such a good mood on the way back though. [B)]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I had the same problem with Harley riders when I went to the Gap. I came up in three of them about half way down and they absolutely would not get out of the way. I was so mad..I had to follow those morons all the way down. They had about 10 sportbikes caught up behind them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by HDRydr2
I had the same problem with Harley riders when I went to the Gap. I came up in three of them about half way down and they absolutely would not get out of the way. I was so mad..I had to follow those morons all the way down. They had about 10 sportbikes caught up behind them.
What's with Harley riders being at the gap anyway?
Thought that was the place to "enjoy" your bike with the may turns that road has. Harleys are probaly the wrong bike for that trip, unless they were just sight-seeing?

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on pictures to get shipped, ordered them yesterday. Here is a low res collage my friend downloaded though. It shows me (on the red 636), my buddy who went down later in the day (on the blue/yellow cbr100rr) and some random chick on a 636 he thought was hot. Can't really tell with the helmet but the body is pretty nice. He has a thing for women in leather, go figure. She must be a gap local because she was shredding on that thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good looking pics.. Sorry to hear about your friend at least he is in one piece. I've only been to the dragon twice, but the only trouble I've had out of the harley guys is the last time we went. We had to wait for my buddy to get off work so we didn't leave until 1:30 am so when we finally got to the dragon we were dead tired and decided to nap in the room for a couple hours. So we're all dosed off and this jackbutt harley rider who was roomed next door to us yells out "WAKE UP CALL" then cranks his throttle about 4 times:(:( It was bad enough hearing there miss firing bikes run up wheelie hill, but this guy had his bike backed up to the hotel... yeah we were pissed, but too freaking tired to do anything

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is your buddy who went down a member of SBN? I know theres a guy on SBN who has a 06 1000RR who frequents the Gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.