Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the back tire of my 06 6r locking up. I was rounding a turn the other day and someone cut me off in a car so I had to stop rather quickly. I was just coming off a light and was accelerating and was about to change into 3rd so I geared it back down into first, from second, and when I did the back tire locked for a second and skidded a bit. This is the second time it has happened to me and I was wondering why? Is it because I geared down at to high of on rpm? I thought that the new slipper clutch on these bikes was supposed to eliminate that. Also, the rear tire on my bike is nearing its end so there isn't much thread left on it, don't know if that might have made a difference. Also, I wasn't hard on the rear brake, so don't think that's why it locked up. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
even with the slipper clutch it can still happen...has happened to me a few times.....i just try to match the revs better when downshifting and havent had any problems since

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It's probably because you changed down at fairly high revs without blipping the throttle, and just let the clutch out quickly, rather than letting it out gradually.

The slipper clutch does work, but if you're brutal when you let the clutch out after changing down (as you probably were, even though you may not have meant to be), you can get the rear tyre to lock up under compression briefly, before the slipper clutch starts working.

I've gotten brief lockups in 3rd gear at about 6,000rpm when testing the clutch out, before the clutch started doing its thing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Naw it will definitely still lock up on. About a week ago some asshole ran a stoppie on me. I almost shit myself. As a natural reaction i hit both brakes, Locking the back tire, and because of it I now need a new right side rear set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.