Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running into a bad alternator on my 650r and have never worked on my bike before. How much does such work cost if I had it done at an independent shop? Can it be something that I could replace?

Mind you, the guys at Autozone (hey, it was the closest place to my house) tested it and said the battery tested fine, but the alternator seemed hosed. They seem a bit bubble headed over there, so I'm not sure if I should trust them too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whats the symptom? My cbr 600 f2 used to burn out the battery every 6 month until i got the replacement alternator.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Autozone can barely test vehicles. I wouldnt trust them to check my air pressure. You need to check the FSM for voltage ratings at what rpm and with what turned on.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Buy yourself a multimeter. You'll get one for abou $15 that'll be fine for most jobs.

Start the engine. Measure the DC voltage across the battery terminals at 4,000 rpm. If it's in the region of about 14 - 15V the charging circuit is OK.

If it's higher the regulator is shot. Too high a voltage will fry the battery.

If it's lower, disconnect the regulator from the alternator - a plug with three thick (black?) wires. On the stator side of the connector, set the meter to AC volts and measure across the three windings (three wires, each to each other so three pairs), again at about 4K rpm, and look for about 70 Vac. Any winding showing a lower voltage than the others is damaged and you'll need a new stator.

If the stator output is OK but the DC voltage across the battery terminals is still low the regulator/rectifier is probably u/s.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts