Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you enjoy the blue accent lights shown in my avatar and the pictures below, you can very easily add in the color of your choice for under 20 bucks.

first of all i bought two 5mm led holders from radioshack for like $2 and 68ohm .5w resistor($.99) and then went to lsdiodes.com to pick up the thc3(something like that) LEDs for cheap as hell.

Next get out your soldering iron, a drill, a couple of washers(i'll explain later) and some wire. i started by drilling the hole for the holder (on my 06 636 you could see two very definate spots to drill the back of your headlight unit...i can take it out and take pictures if needed..should've done that to begin with)

then i took two fairly large washers and attached the led holder to them with the supply nut then i glued the washer to the unit, securing the led holder in its new home.

then i ran the wire, sharing the ground of the left blinker to the neg of the left led, then the pos of the left led across to the neg of the right led, then the right led to one 68 ohm, .5 w resistor which i taped to the top of the headlight unit, then i ran the wire to the factory connection the headlights use where i located an accessory wire that was open, soldered the tip of the wire and slid it into the factory harness.

now when the key is on these leds are on. more "internal" pics to come this weekend, but here's the result...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Looks sick man. Can't wait to see actual write up with pics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As promised here is weekend update with your host SrA CagersSuck all the way from monterey. ***personally i would suggest doing this in conjunction with the backlight led replacement and the dual-running headlight mods also found in the diy section to save on time and hassle with three different disassembles.
PARTS LIST ON FIRST POST

Let's begin, here is the removal step-by-step:
1. mirrors (2 bolts underneath, each)
2. take out all 6 screws around nose and mid fairings
3. upper "dash" fairings (just pull out at this point, only in there with rubber grips)
4. upper "nose" fairing (4 more screws, 2 down at the bottom edges on the inside and 2 by the ram air duct)
5. headlight unit (2 big screws attach this to the mirror/gauge bracket)

***now would be a good time to do the dual running headlights

putting in the LEDs:
1. assemble the led holder ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=led+holder&kw=led+holder&parentPage=search ) with the extra larger circumference washer like so don't put the led in yet (on holder from front, larger washer, split washer, nut)

2. now drill a hole in the upper corner of your headlight unit the size of the tip of the led holder (a. you'll see the spot where they probably already install these in other parts of the world, b. tape your drill bit about a 1/2 inch up so as not to go so far through you scratch the inside of the light unit)
3. now glue your led assembly from step one into the hole should look like these

Now we proceed to the wiring:
**try to make all connections with the soldering method for dependability (solder, shrink wrap, tape secure)
1. start by connecting the wire to the left blinker's ground (it seems to be the most convenient location) and running it to the negative of the left led **put leds in the rubber holders first
2. connect wire from the positive of the left led and run it over to the negative of the right led (i taped the wire down across the top of the headlight unit)
3. connect wire from the positive fo the right led and run it to the resistor
4. run from the resistor to the stock lighting harness (you'll find the space for it shown here, just remove the rubber stopper and slide in the wire...oh and solder the tip of the wire so it just slides in the harness)
5. slide your leds into their holders and connect the wiring

DONE...check it and then reassemble

if there are any problems-post em...i'll be checking almost every day...ENJOY!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see a lot of reads, but is anyone else trying this. come on, i want to see some more color variations and pics of sick bikes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no pics from anybody...i'm gonna have to just keep changing my led colors out and posting under different names. i thought for sure people would be all over this.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
wow, when I got out of work today...i envisioned your bike and i thought "I need to find that dude with the blue led's in the corner" lo and behold, here you are without me having to search...unfortunately, i want to do blue, so no color variations

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
One thing I'm concerned about... After drilling the holes in the upper corners or your headlights, did you have a problem with shavings falling down into them?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no problems with the shavings, but i had the same concern. i used probably 4 drill bits just starting really small then working up, took it slow, and the shaving always either stayed on the bit or at least as a large piece i could shake/pick out of the light socket hole. the only trick part, like i stated before, is making sure you don't punch through quick and scratch the inside of the unit. i came real close to doing that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cager
I'm moving to Monterey in December.I have less then 100 posts so can't pm you yet. My email is docdel[email protected]. I've got a few questions about the area. Would you mind sending me an email?

·
Banned
495 Posts
Heres mine.......i hooked it up to a stand alone switch so i can put them on without the bike on..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks awesome bro...i was really looking forward to seeing the green!!! Did everything go as easy as it seems?

·
Banned
495 Posts
Yea, i have a write up on it right below this thread. My first ZX6R was blue, i wish i would of done this mod to it, the blue looks SICKK!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
im gonna do this to my bike its totally sick it matches my underglow. sorry no variations doing blue

·
Registered
744 Posts
which plug is that?. can i get a better picture? just to mkae sure ya know. i found the one i think it is but i cant figure out how to get it open.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How would you wire it if you wanted the front indicator and the LED to alternate flashing, instead of flashing at the same time (which is what I assume the above listed instructions would do, no?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
came out great and def works with the neon

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would like to see a better pic of the connector as well .....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts