Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive gotten to where I can ride out whillies in first gear, I videoed alot of wheelies, and my front wheel is about 4-5 feet in the air, the question I have is about how high in feet is the balance point. Ive gotten higher but I always set it down because I dont wanna loop it. Im up 2 in the rear as of today, and it helps get it up alot faster. I wanna learn to ride wheelies longer if possible. is it easier to ride it out standing or sitting. any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can reach the balance point sittin and standing but i think its a lot easier to balance the bike while doin standups. once i started doin standups i could ride them until my arms hurt too bad to go any farther

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The balance point is where the bike feels very loose, meaning it takes very little throttle to keep the front end up. When you hit the balance point, it will feel like the bike wants to flip, but you'll learn to trust yourself and the bike with enough practice. When you do sit down wheelies, you know you're at the balance point when you can't see the road in front of you without looking around the fairings.

·
Registered
999 Posts
TommyV put it very well. This pic is in 1st just past the balance point in 1st, the balance point in 2nd is a lot lower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
isn't the balance point just where you personally can keep the front wheel up with minimal throttle effort, real stunt riders seem to be able to keep it up just before 12 o'clock but I doubt the regular every day rider who does wheelies can keep it there without a lot of practice.

a little off topic but I saw Wink1100 do a ghost wheelie (I think thts what he called it). it was awesome. if you're wondering what it was you need a 12 o'clock bar and you put the bike up to 12 at really low speed give it a little juice when its up there jump off let it ride for a bit then jump back on and put it down.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The only way to keep the bike up while doing 12's like my picture is to use the rear brake, so its more brake control than anything. I consider the balance point where you can hold the bike in a wheelie without gaining or losing speed without the rear brake.

·
Registered
401 Posts
anyone know where the 636's balance point is relative to other bikes. my friend rides an r1 and another rides a gsxr-750 and the r1 balance point is lower than the gixxers from watching them wheelie. I'm a long way from finding it, b/c i cant get over that falling feeling, just wondered how far i have to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its just like any bike only on the 636 if you dont got a wheelie bar youve gone to far back and fucked your self by the time you tap the back end...LOL

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Blitz n Green
the wheelie bar basically does not allow you to go past a 12' right?
No bike is loop-proof. Like minytrker said, the bar is there for bar tricks, not safety.

·
Registered
278 Posts
if you wanna find balance points, sometimes you just have to say fuck it and go. Learn from expeirence, and don't give it too much excessive throttle.

(p.s. the time you just say fuck it and go, be sure to keep your foot on the back brake, a little tap on that will bring you down quickly.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hate winter!! I got my bike this June and as of last monday I started doing 2nd gear standups!! I am very happy about it and now I can't ride and practice anymore:( I get it to come up very easily now (I was a non-believer in the bouncing method before) I just get scared when it seems to come up and can't ride them very long. Lookin forward to next year!!![:p]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
That's cause you haven't seen vinnysilver do those damn bounce standups. He makes it look too damn easy. I guess you just have to stick to what works for you and not worry about what others might be doing.
minytrker, that's some sick stuff man.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Originally posted by vinnysilver
Thanks Cyber appreciate the big-up man
[:M3] ha ha got ya vin!!!
no you do make them shits look too easy. it doesnt even look like you push down that hard and the damn thing just comes right up [:M99]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.