Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any advice on these bikes? I'm looking for a bike with more power and torque then my 6R, but still retain many of the same comfort qualities that attracted me to the ninja in the first place. I found a 2001 for $4K, that's in mint condition with 4100 miles on it. The only problem, well, it may not be a problem, but it had its first oil change at 3500 miles. Is it worth my time? I know the first oil change is most important, so is there any damage inside the cyilnders and crankcase from the metal shavings?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I would say that it is worth your time. You will certainly gain more torque as well as maintaining the comfort level of your 6R at the very least. Also, I don't think there will be any problems related to the oil change issue. The possibility of metal shavings in the oil is a bit overrated anyways. The shavings will settle to the bottom of the reservoir, and what smaller pieces happen to float will most likely get caught in the filter. It should be just fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the bike will be fine. They are good bikes and are made strong. If I were you I would change the oil right when you buy it and check for shavings. I almost bought one when I found the zx6r.
Oh and then maybe run synthetic oil from now on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I owned a 97 Bandit 12. 2001 is basically the same motor with slightly better chassis and throttle position sensors. That air/oil cooled 1157 motor probably one of the toughest motors to ever live in a motorcycle. Tons of go fast parts are available and they respond very well to simple exhuast and carb mods.

My 97 had 26K on it when I sold it and I beat the piss out of it, but maintained it well. Still ran like a champ And I got $3,000. Just dont expect it to handle anywhere close to your 6R. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

·
Registered
337 Posts
it's easy to find bandits for cheap if you still want one. Don't worry about missing this one. I heard they are nice to wheelie b/c of the power they have.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by mvrk1

it's easy to find bandits for cheap if you still want one. Don't worry about missing this one. I heard they are nice to wheelie b/c of the power they have.
I know what you're talking about, there are a bunch for sale locally with few miles. What about a Honda Super Hawk? Which one would be better for handling and carving corners, the Hawk or the Bandit 1200?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The hawk is a completely different type of bike. It's a v-twin, while the bandit is an inline 4. I'm not qualified to compare them, but last month's motorcyclist magazine had things to say about both of them in it's 50 best used bikes section. I just got this month's issue today, and the super hawk is in the smart money section. They are both good bikes. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the superhawk handles a lot better than the bandit.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sat on a SuperHawk today at the dealer while I was looking at 7Rs and 636s, and what's up with the tiny windscreens now? I thought a bike like the SuperHawk would be the last bike they're want to make narrower. The windscreen on it is very very similar to the 03 636. Don't you get a ton of wind on you when you're riding? More so then say the CBR or the 7 or older 6Rs? I mean this may be all in my head, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you were doing 80 down the highway (straight) for 1/2 hour or an hour, wouldn't the lack of a windscreen have an effect on your upper body and head?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.