Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a bike tech yet. I'm pretty good with working on cars but not very knowledgeable about bike repair or damage assessment yet.

If you go down and the handle bars get tweaked off center, how bad is that considered damage/repair/price wise? Can they be re-adjusted or re-installed back straight or has something expensive been tweaked?

This could be just tweaked bars/clip ons or damaged forks and triple tree, correct?

For reference, I lowsided the bike, so it's not like the bike flipped or anything.

I picked it up and rode it to safe place and the bike didn't feel wobbly or anything but the bars were off center. Not a whole lot but a noticeable enough amount.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The clip-ons on the new 250's are connected to each other right?

If so, do you feel that both bars have moved equally?

I don't remember off hand exactly what they look like but, maybe the bars spun a little bit one way or the other. In which case, you just loosen 'em up and recenter.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Clip ons are both bolted to the triple. They are individual pieces.

I promise you that one of them is bent if you low sided.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clip-ons on the new 250's are connected to each other right?

If so, do you feel that both bars have moved equally?

I don't remember off hand exactly what they look like but, maybe the bars spun a little bit one way or the other. In which case, you just loosen 'em up and recenter.
The bars on the 250 look like this, for reference. Yes, they felt equally off center. But I don't really remember to be accurate. It was over a month ago.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easy brotha, no need to get all...

One
word
at
a
timey...:D
No harm done. Noob question I know. Just wanted to ask before assuming. I know it doesn't take much to write off a bike if damaged right and fork and frame damage can easily do that.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next question,

When adjusting the bars back, do you just have to pretty much play it by trial and error to find center?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Next question,

When adjusting the bars back, do you just have to pretty much play it by trial and error to find center?
Ok, I could see that pic. Thanks.

That was different than what I was thinking. W/o seeing it (your bike), Sev probably has the right idea. The bar, itself, is most likely bent. In which case, you will need to replace that bar. Savy?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thanks again, collin.
You got it. Before I saw the pic, I was thinking that the clip ons were actually both connected to a single piece that went through the center stud. In which case, it could have spun a little. If you look at the pic though, you can see how the separate clamps are bolted down at two spots each (making it impossible for either of them to spin). That just basically means that the bar (clip-on) must have bent, since it's mount can't move.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Order either
39058-0007-18R - left handle bar
39058-0008-18R - right handle bar

If it's the left side you will also want to order a new grip
46075-1144 - left grip

This is an excellent opportunity to go to aftermarket grips if you want to do such a thing.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a good place to order from with good prices? Assuming I can't find what I need from another damaged bike

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damage isn't as bad as I thought. To be normally driveable, needs a left peg and front cowl so the headlight can be put back. And the shifter needs to be bent back into shape but I can use it as is... The left fairing isn't so bad... I can live with it. Front wheel fender is broken.

But the handle bars are not bent actually. The whole top triple tree assembly thing is off to the right about 1/2 inch. I'll try to get a picture later...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ya, take a couple of pics if you can. I wanna see what actually happened here. From the pic that you linked, I can't even tell how the clip-ons and top clamp could move off center from the triple.

Also, a word to the wise. Be careful bending the shifter back. I don't know what grade of aluminum the use off hand but, some kinds are more brittle than others; And once they are bent and bent back, they become very weak.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll get some pictures up when I get home from work later today. I'm not too worried about the shifter. I'm planning on having to buy a new one so if I can bend it back into decent shape, then cool. If it breaks, oh well. I just bent it back enough because it was in the way of the shifter arm.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK here's pictures of the damage.

Upon further inspection, it seems the forks are tweaked at a slightly different angle after the crash and that's why the triple tree and bars are off slightly.

These first two pictures are taken with the wheel straight so you can see the amount the bars are off.

And the rest of the damage. Just plastics pretty much. I disconnected the headlight which is still good thankfully.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.