Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basic gearing question..

I ride a 2007 zx6r and my normal riding style is, as speed increases the gear increases.

So on the freeway I am on the 6th gear doing around 73mph amd I have seen some guys pass me on some sport bike and have seen them downshift. so my question is, will it not damage the gearbox or gears if I downshift from 6th to 5th doing 73mph ?

On what gear do you guys normally ride ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

I ride a 2007 zx6r and my normal riding style is, as speed increases the gear increases.

So on the freeway I am on the 6th gear doing around 73mph amd I have seen some guys pass me on some sport bike and have seen them downshift. so my question is, will it not damage the gearbox or gears if I downshift from 6th to 5th doing 73mph ?

Thanks in advance.
The point is to match the rpm with the speed. It will more than likely lock up the bike if you go 73 mph down into first gear. You cant expect 1st gear to keep you going 73 mph. Can you go 73 mph in 5th? If yes, then you can downshift toe 5th. The rpms will rise of course because you are in a lower gear that is now driving you at that current speed.

Have you just started to ride?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
depends on your rev limit and where you make power at. if he's on an R6, you gotta spin those things to 13 grand to make any power anyway.

assuming you open the clutch and shift like you have sense or rev-match a bit, you won't hurt anything. if you just jam it in gear without a clutch or are tached out and trying to downshift (and at the same time, blow your shit up) yeah.. you'll find yourself having a bad day usually.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Really?

At that speed you can shift down into 3rd gear and open the throttle up no problem. The speed limit on the freeway here is 70mph and when I get on the off ramp doing 75mph the first thing I do is immediately drop 3 gears clutch free to slow the bike down.

As long as you are shifting properly and the gear for the speed wont put you above redline (or so low then engine bogs) it's not going to hurt a thing. Although be carefull in the lower gears, ya dont want to lock your tire up, but it wont effect the transmission at all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point is to match the rpm with the speed. It will more than likely lock up the bike if you go 73 mph down into first gear. You cant expect 1st gear to keep you going 73 mph. Can you go 73 mph in 5th? If yes, then you can downshift toe 5th. The rpms will rise of course because you are in a lower gear that is now driving you at that current speed.

Have you just started to ride?
No I have around 22000 yes 22k miles on the zx6r till date but never tried this thinking that it might hurt the engine.

Really?

At that speed you can shift down into 3rd gear and open the throttle up no problem. The speed limit on the freeway here is 70mph and when I get on the off ramp doing 75mph the first thing I do is immediately drop 3 gears clutch free to slow the bike down.

As long as you are shifting properly and the gear for the speed wont put you above redline (or so low then engine bogs) it's not going to hurt a thing. Although be carefull in the lower gears, ya dont want to lock your tire up, but it wont effect the transmission at all.
What do you mean clutch free you just down shift without pressing the clutch? With zero throttle obviously.. can yiu up shift as well??

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
DON'T downshift without a clutch. you can, but you need to know wtf you're doing.. not sure you're at this point.
you can upshift sans-clutch, but i suggest doing it after 2nd gear and at higher speeds. again, thats something you probably haven't done and would need to experiment with. its actually easier on the driveline to upshift without using a clutch.. roll off the throttle, click up, roll back on. its that easy.. but you gotta be fast.

give the mechanical engineers a bit more credit than you are now.. those motors and the trans can take an ass whoppin.. the motor more than anything. the trans is under a lot of stress, so failures if overstressed should be expected.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Short answer: No, it won't hurt a 6R to downshift from 6th to 5th at 73 mph.

Longer answer: You do rev-match on downshifts, right? Using the clutch (I won't get into clutchless shifting in this post), you pull the clutch, briefly increase the throttle to increase engine speed to match what it will be in the gear you're going into, and then release the clutch. If you listen at :04 through :06 in this video, you can hear the rev-matching of a succession of rapid downshifts as the driver slows dramatically for a tight turn.

You can also pull the clutch and drop more than one gear at a time, provided you match the rev to the final gear. I routinely drop two gears to go from cruising to passing. On my 650, I would drop from 6th to 4th to rapidly accelerate from 73 mph. On your 6R you can probably go to 3rd and be right in the powerband. Failure to rev-match downshifts can lead to skidding the rear tire. This is a bad thing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so I tried it today at 65mph from 6th gear to 5th gear and matched the rpms and it did just fine.. at one point I was not able to differentiate between the 6th gear and 5th gear..

I was expecting to get a little jerk coz of the down shift.. but I quickly matched revs and it was smooth. I did it by pressing the clutch just a little bit..

·
Registered
528 Posts
ok so I tried it today at 65mph from 6th gear to 5th gear and matched the rpms and it did just fine.. at one point I was not able to differentiate between the 6th gear and 5th gear..

I was expecting to get a little jerk coz of the down shift.. but I quickly matched revs and it was smooth. I did it by pressing the clutch just a little bit..
At those speeds in 6th gear, there will hardly be any difference in engine rpm if you just downshift once. Regardless, you shouldn't ever have any jerking sensation if you rev match/downshift correctly, regardless of what gear you're in or how fast you're going. Takes a lot of practice to get it smooth and consistent.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Didn't they teach this at your msf? Or when you were trained to drive a standard?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Ya I should have left out the clutch free part, you have to be pretty damn good at rev matching in order to be doing that.

If the bike is jerking you are either hitting the rev limiter, bogging the engine or locking up the rear tire. Downshifting isn't going to bog the engine and the other 2 instances are not going to happen unless your riding like you are on a race track, and from how it sounds, you don ride like that so.

Sev he lives in Washington, they don't teach you to drive a standard in America. Most people dont know how.

Fly, Have you ever driven a car with a manual transmission? Also are you shifting at 5 grand on your bike or something? Your bike can do 70mph in 1st gear.. dont downshift into first going fast though lol.

We are just kind of curious because asking us what you have just seems like a weird thing to ask.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Fly, I'm really curious how you've been riding up to this point. What have you been doing in situations calling for rapid acceleration? I'm having difficulty understanding how you rode 22,000 miles before asking this question. No disrespect intended, I just really want to know.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sev he lives in Washington, they don't teach you to drive a standard in America. Most people dont know how.
I'm not sure about that "most people" part. I started a poll on another forum to find out. I'm not sure if non-members can view poll results. If not, someone let me know and I'll post after I get some results.

Poll: Poll-Americans, Can You Drive a Manual? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

I know results will be a little skewed due to it being a car forum, but stick shift Mercedes haven't been widely available in the U.S. since they discontinued the 190D in the early 90's. Most of the members of that forum drive autotragics. And yes, over there, they call me Skippy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't they teach this at your msf? Or when you were trained to drive a standard?
Well they did taught me about engine breaking during my msf but I just wanted to understand the style everybody rides plus wanted to make sure the engine would be safe. I have never done a track day or have attended a race school.

Ya I should have left out the clutch free part, you have to be pretty damn good at rev matching in order to be doing that.

If the bike is jerking you are either hitting the rev limiter, bogging the engine or locking up the rear tire. Downshifting isn't going to bog the engine and the other 2 instances are not going to happen unless your riding like you are on a race track, and from how it sounds, you don ride like that so.

Fly, Have you ever driven a car with a manual transmission? Also are you shifting at 5 grand on your bike or something? Your bike can do 70mph in 1st gear.. dont downshift into first going fast though lol.

We are just kind of curious because asking us what you have just seems like a weird thing to ask.
I drive a manual transmission jeep. The only reason I asked this question was to understand the gearing style to use when you are riding aggressive or in a race mode.

Fly, I'm really curious how you've been riding up to this point. What have you been doing in situations calling for rapid acceleration? I'm having difficulty understanding how you rode 22,000 miles before asking this question. No disrespect intended, I just really want to know.
Well I have never raced or done a track day. All my riding on the bike is leisurely so far. Most of my riding has been touring like and I never felt the need to rapidly accelerate. I might have done it sometimes but was always in the 6th gear. I never downshifted purposely to rapidly accelerate.

And as far as driving a stick shift is concerned, I learned to drive on a stick shift in India :) and drove it for around 10 yrs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi fellow Washingtonian... I guess it depends on your riding style. From the way you describe your style, i would think a touring or sport touring is more fitting. Obviously, your bike earns higher prestige. :) ... IMHO...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi fellow Washingtonian... I guess it depends on your riding style. From the way you describe your style, i would think a touring or sport touring is more fitting. Obviously, your bike earns higher prestige. :) ... IMHO...
I agree but now I want to ride it bit aggressive :) hence the question.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Gear appropriate to speed, as needed to keep it in the power band. As with this:

Edit: Can you tell I'm a raging F1 fan?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,562 Posts

Thanks in advance.

The reason they are downshifting is because they want to more quickly accelerate. I have an '05 ZX6R (636) and if I'm going 73mph in 6th gear I am roughly at 6000-ish RPMs. At 7000 RPMs my speedo indicates 80-81 mph. If I try to quickly (key word) accelerate from here it won't happen. You want to raise the RPMs into the "power band". This is where your bike jumps and accelerates like a mofo. On my bike it starts around 9000 RPMs. It's a noticeable jump, you can't miss it. So if I'm lugging along in 6th gear, doing 75 mph and I need to quickly (key word) accelerate, I'll tap it down to 5th or maybe 4th and open the throttle. This gets the bike into that power band for hard acceleration. It won't damage the bike.

With all those miles you have under you, I'm surprised this concept is foreign to you. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts