Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I moved and left my bike sitting for a little over a month and the battery drained. I need to give it a jumo with my car but the jumper cable wont fit under the tank. I have to slightly lift the tank in order for it to fit in the red part of the battery. Now its an 05 636 and I took the seat off and the screw that was in the front of the tank to lift it but it wont come up. I can't find my manual. if there anything else I need to take out in order to lift the tank a little?

I did a search but I didn't find exactly what i was looking for.

thank you

·
Registered
349 Posts
don't jump from a car, your bikes electrical system wasn't meant to support that much juice.. you ought to instead go out and buy a battery charger - 1 amp 12 volts. It will run you about $30 - $40, but it's well worth it. You'll just need it again in the future anyway.. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the battery charger going to fit under the tank without me lifting it? or am I still gonna have to do that? if so how?

·
Registered
349 Posts
you'll want to lift your tank and prop it up (I used a spray paint can).

there's 1 bolt on each side of the tank you'll have to take out. And a couple bolts under your seat you'll have to take off in order to lift your tank up.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
can't you just pop start it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you mean that thing that looks like doror hinges? i gotta loosen that up? ididnt touch it cause I thought it worked like a door hinge.

no I tried doing it from second but it wont start. i would need a hill or someting but everything here is flat

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
u can get a few friends to push you and pop start it get like 3 people to help it will be fun[:p]

·
Registered
349 Posts
you could probably pop start the bike, but your battery still won't charge. unlike a car battery, ours aren't charged during riding. if you get it started, you'll most likely be faced with the same problem when you go to start it again..

and yes, the door hinge looking thing: you can either take out the long bolt at the hinge, or the two bolts on either side holding that piece down.

·
Registered
349 Posts
you could probably ask your local bike shop to charge your battery too.. usually they don't mind..

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Buy a battery tender for about $60. I had the same problem and it worked great. I believe it comes with a cable that you can leave attached to your battery so you can easily plug it in the next time around. I opted not to do this but I am sure I will change my mind when I go to put the bike up for the winter.

That said the terminals it comes with are a "O" ring type terminal which would mean you would have to remove the cable completely to install it. You can use a pair of tin snips and turn that "O" into a "C" type which means you can just loosen the cable and slide it on.

To loosen the cable I used the proper size open-end wrench and wrapped it completely in electrical tape, except for the very end of it (i didn't feel like having the positive lead short against the chassis in case I slipped). It worked great like that and I didn't have to remove the tank at all.

Good luck and be careful not to short out the electronics!

·
Registered
306 Posts
if u have to jump from a car then do it while the car isnt running it will still give enough juice to start but not to much since ur bike wasnt meant to handle it.u will be alright if u do it while the car is off[}:)]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by adunski
you could probably pop start the bike, but your battery still won't charge. unlike a car battery, ours aren't charged during riding.
Bikes do charge while riding its just the charging system is internal. As long as the battery is in condition pop starting it and riding the bike for a while should charge the battery.

·
Registered
244 Posts
why cant it be simple to jumps start the bike :(

I faced this problem 2 months ago. I jumped started it with a car. I just had to make sure the car wasnt running.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok so i'm an idiot and tried jumping my bike from my car while it was running, does this mean i fried my electrical system. It started for about a second then died then when i attempted to start it again it would crank but wouldn't turn over, i figured it just wasn't getting fule for some reason but did i screw something else up worse? thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by SwordMstr23
ok so i'm an idiot and tried jumping my bike from my car while it was running, does this mean i fried my electrical system. It started for about a second then died then when i attempted to start it again it would crank but wouldn't turn over, i figured it just wasn't getting fule for some reason but did i screw something else up worse? thanks
Start checking the fuses under the rear seat, probably popped one. Hopefully that all that popped, at least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.