Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just curious to the specs (volts, amps, etc) on the stock 03 zx6r battery.

I haven't rode the bike in about 3 days and now the battery has lost enough juice to not start.

Any clues to what it may be?

Thanks,
-groovin

·
Registered
191 Posts
Put a charger on it and see if you can get it to come back to life. My bike did the same thing after sitting for over a month. A trickle charger works best in my opinion. My battery was dead and even a charge couldnt save it. I picked up a new battery from Advance Auto Parts and havent had any problems. I was amazed at how much stuff they carry for motorcycles.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
batteries don't last forever, so if it doesn't charge, then could just be at the end of it's life. I can leave my bike for a week or so still, and it kicks over first time, but I know it's getting weaker.

The details should still be on the battery. And it's more a case of the size, rather than the amps etc. tis all 12v, but they come in a few different sizes. If you can, get the battery to the shop (either in your hand or in the bike) and they can size it up with what they have, or can get for you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I jump it, its starts up like a champ. I rode it and idle'd it for about 10-15 mins. It charged up enough juice to turn the motor over however the cranking power was not sufficient enough to start the bike.

Right now its @ the local autozone being charged.

My main concern is why after only 3 days it lost juice.
It could possibly be as you stated above, just a worn out battery, but I would like to consider the possibility of other culprits.

-groovin

·
Powerhungry
37,892 Posts
its the stock battery?

um its been 5+ years.
just replace it, and save yourself the later headache.

FYI automotive batterys have a "life" of 5 yrs. at the 5 yr mark(if they make it that long) its time to seriously start thinking about replacing it, before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

in general, MC batteries DONT last as long as car batteries do.

and i THINK the amperage rating is in the 300 range give or take...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I see. Any recommendations on batteries?

-groovin
If you have a Advance Auto Parts in your area go there and get a battery. They can look it up by application so you know you are getting a battery designed for your bike. I have had mine in for a year now and it has been great and fires the bike right up even after sitting for a week or two. It will be a fresh battery too as you have to fill the cells when you get the battery. I cant remember the brand of the battery they sell off the top of my head.

Another source would be to go to your local Kawasaki dealership and pick up a battery from them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got the battery back from autozone. Bike starts up just fine now. Lets see if the battery begins to die out.

I know this may be off subject but, my bike tends to sputter when I slowly decelerate and has a pretty rough idle. Any ideas?

When I have time I'll be checking out the plugs and plug wires. Any tips on how to go about doing so?

-groovin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts