Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a battery tender for xmas, but to be honest I have no idea how to hook it up. Bikes an 05 zx6r. Any help would be great. To be honest, off hand I don't even know where the battery is or how to get to it.

Also, I plan to clean the chain, but should I put fuel stabilizer in? I normally start it every week or two. Is this okay to do with the stabilizer in the tank?

Anything else I should do? I have to change the oil, but I havent gotten to it yet :( Its too cold in the garage.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've heard that in the winter, its not good to start your bike up once in a while. It does more harm than what its worth. The battery tender if you got a nice one, should have a feed that you can connect to your positive and negative battery posts. So you can connect it when you have to charge it. Pretty much like a quick connect. Clean the chain with either WD40 or Kerosene, works really well. If your bike is carborated, i would be some stabilizer in, but if its FI I dont think there would be a problem. If you dont want flat spots on your tires i was also reccomend to get a front and rear stand.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've heard that in the winter, its not good to start your bike up once in a while.
Might need an explanation on this, i mean damn i just like to hear it once or twice a week :D didn't know i was doing harm... the bike does not turn over hard or anything

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Battery is under your seat. Charge it every 2 months for 1 hour on low amp. Starting during winter is fine. Make sure it's warm, don't rev. Starting it will help get rid of any water in the pipe and header, not too mention will coat the inside of the cylinders with oil again.

Search...there's so many fuckin threads on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lube for after cleaning the chain. So altec - I just pop the seat to reach it? I thought I read somewhere it was under the tank. Maybe it was for the wrong model bike.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a battery tender with the quick connect pigtail. I have it hidden under the seat cowl, so all that i have to do is remove the cowl and plug my charger into my bike. I usually do it once a month.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just one lead is under the tank. It should be small enough to reach under there without having to lift the tank.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I got a battery tender for xmas, but to be honest I have no idea how to hook it up. Bikes an 05 zx6r. Any help would be great. To be honest, off hand I don't even know where the battery is or how to get to it.

Also, I plan to clean the chain, but should I put fuel stabilizer in? I normally start it every week or two. Is this okay to do with the stabilizer in the tank?

Anything else I should do? I have to change the oil, but I havent gotten to it yet :( Its too cold in the garage.
1) The battery is under the frame spar that the tank pivot is on. It's mounted inline with the bike instead of perpendicular like most other bikes.

2) remove the two side covers under the seat, then remove the seat. Next remove the tank bolts (1 by the steering head, and two in the side of the frame. Remove the tank pivot bolt and prop the tank up and out of your way. You can then easily access both terminals on the battery. Connect the Battery tender pig-tail observing the correct polarity. (Red to red, black to black, duh) Now rout the pig tail under and around the frame to a location that is easily accessible and won't interfere with anything. (Chain, swingarm, ect.)

3) Yes, you can start and run a bike with fuel stabilizer in it.

I've heard that in the winter, its not good to start your bike up once in a while. It does more harm than what its worth.
On the contrary, I RECOMMEND you start the bike at least once a week and bring it up to operating temperature.

Just one lead is under the tank. It should be small enough to reach under there without having to lift the tank.
You can't get at the positive terminal with the tank on. I've tried. It's just faster and easier to remove the four bolts securing the tank, and prop the tank up. If you don't you run the risk of shorting the positive terminal to ground and making sparks in close proximity to the fuel tank. (That can be bad)

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
I posted a thread in the how to section awhile back that shows how to change a battery....

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=106668

The instructions and pictures in the "how to" will get you to your battery. Once there, just hook the battery tender lead wire up positive to positive and negative to negative and put your bike back together. I leave my battery on the tender pretty much around the clock when I'm not riding the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) The battery is under the frame spar that the tank pivot is on. It's mounted inline with the bike instead of perpendicular like most other bikes.

2) remove the two side covers under the seat, then remove the seat. Next remove the tank bolts (1 by the steering head, and two in the side of the frame. Remove the tank pivot bolt and prop the tank up and out of your way. You can then easily access both terminals on the battery. Connect the Battery tender pig-tail observing the correct polarity. (Red to red, black to black, duh) Now rout the pig tail under and around the frame to a location that is easily accessible and won't interfere with anything. (Chain, swingarm, ect.)

3) Yes, you can start and run a bike with fuel stabilizer in it.

On the contrary, I RECOMMEND you start the bike at least once a week and bring it up to operating temperature.

You can't get at the positive terminal with the tank on. I've tried. It's just faster and easier to remove the four bolts securing the tank, and prop the tank up. If you don't you run the risk of shorting the positive terminal to ground and making sparks in close proximity to the fuel tank. (That can be bad)
Thanks for the great post! Im going to try to do this over the long weekend. Temps arent going to break 20, but I'll throw a jacket on

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the great post! Im going to try to do this over the long weekend. Temps arent going to break 20, but I'll throw a jacket on
It's freaking 80 degees here right now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i leave mine hooked up to the tender 24/7 when not riding also which isnt much right now its 9degrees. Put a piece of wood under the tank then you can screw down to the positive terminal then close it back up because the negative is easily accessible. Just did this about a month ago. GL

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do the same thing, Mine is hooked to a battery tender 24/7 also. It's just a trackbike now and I start it once or twice a week during the winter months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts