Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got these on my 2004, and last night a few times, the rear end came out..thank god i don't panic when that happens anymore, but man it doesnt exude confidence...im riding a little fast on the street, but NOWHERE NEAR the limit of the bike on street let alone the track...
WTF! outised temp is like 16 degrees and tires were well warm...

any suggestions...?
thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had battlax tyres on my last bike. Crap.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Not sure why you'd spend the money to put Battleaxs on there when there are plenty of better tires available.

Battleaxs come stock on the 06 636 and I will never use them again. Qualifiers, PP, Pirelli, Metzeler, etc. all the way...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are my stock rubbers

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i really didnt have a problem with them, bit i do like my quilifyers better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They weren't warm. they have to be in warm weather. if it's below 60'F. they won't warm warm for 8 hiway miles. they suck, slipper clutch n all.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
i just replaced my oem battleaxe's with pilot powers. i thought the oem tires were alright but i'm really likin' the pilots.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Good to know I'm going to be looking for tires soon. Is it worth it to throw another battlax on till the front wears? I have heard it is bad to mix and match but my front has considerably more life left than the rear.
-D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I rode Battleaxes on the track without a problem. Sometimes shit happens on the street. Bad tire pressure, cold tires, oil spots, antifreeze, sand, etc.

If you intend to switch, but a front that is what you are switching to.The whole thing about not mixing tires is BS.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Battleax's have caused me no problems but then I'm not a track rider either.
I had some chick strips about 3/4" wide on the stock BT14s so you can see I don't lay it over that much. I put BT20s on as the second pair because they are harder and hold up better on streets (w/less grip as a negative). I commute 50% of the time on my 636 and I can't afford soft tires and changing them out every 3000 miles.
(my original stock front tire was just changed at 9500 miles; the rear BT14 was changed out at 7500 miles - I thought that was pretty good durability for a bike tire)

However, I plan on trying something different next time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The OEM Bridgestone BT014's that came on my '06 zx6r weren't that bad. I took them on the track and didn't have any problems (and there were no chicken strips at all on them things :D). However, that's not to say that I didn't switch to Pilot Powers a few weeks later; it's not that the BT014's were crap, it's just that they took a while to heat up, and the PP's heat up in like 1-2 laps.

Here's a tire test by SBK magazine, it has all the tires in there including the BT014's which actually did pretty good:

http://www.zinio.com/express?issue=77606059

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those tires use to scare the shiet out of me.... alwase wants to slip out like u said... i got some dunlops 208 GPa's..... and confident just boost back up on turns... yeeE

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
personally i like the BT-014s on the zx6r better then the pilot powers,thats just me....more feedback and they let you know when the tire is going to be fading and or not going to be happy when you really push on it..

BT014-Way faster track...tighter turns, higher speed, lets you know when they are not a willing participant

Pilot Powers-felt great until the ass came around on me in a corner.
No warning, the BT-014s never did...

just a matter of riders preferenceand what works for you..plenty of choices out there nowadays for one that you willl like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I still got my original battlax on my 636, they are good tire for someone who drive around and cruise a lot on the highway. They are some hard to keep warm enough to corner corectly plus you can easily reach their limits on the street. It happen often that the front end feel like it want to drift when leaning too much and the rear will easily slide if it is somewhat bumpy. Can;t wait to put the new Pilot Power 2ct this winter!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wore out several sets of BT014's on my previous bike & from what I can tell they work great once warmed up. Several trips to the North GA mountains on each set & there were very few scary moments.
They felt stable & very precictable even when heeled over on the edge (no chicken strip left).

A little slippery when cold, but then what sport tire isn't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the 014's are great tires 90% of the time the tire stepping out on you is a result of poor throttle control. Ie. I had my pilot powers step out on me 4 laps into my 3rd session last trackday (fully warmed I would say) due to too much throttle out of the turn, same thing would have happened on an 014 of any other tire. Try smoothing your throttle transitions before blaming/changing tires.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bridgestone Battlax 014s are perfectly fine tires. I've done track days, and hard street riding, without issue. Grip is plenty fine. I've run them, Pilot Powers, and Pirelli Diablos (not the Corsas). Of the three, I'd pick the Powers first, because turn in is more linear, Bridgestone second, and Pirelli third. The 014s have a dual stage turn in - you lean the bike, it gets to a happy spot, you go to lean more and it sorta "falls" into another happy spot. After a while it's not noticable, but the Powers are much smoother for turn in.

The weather is cooling down too. Give ANY tire the time to heat up before you start riding hard. You're only asking for trouble otherwise.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I love Battlaxs.

I currently have a BT020 on the rear (I prefer the way it feels in corners to the 014 rear) and an 014 on the front. The only times the rear has let go has been over slippery crap on the road, or when I've deliberately spun it up in the wet. It never really gets cold here though.

The only problem I have is that it is lasting much longer than I thought it would - 12,500 miles so far, and it's got a fair bit left. I replaced the front tyre a couple of thousand miles ago.

I like the way they handle. I like the amount of grip they have. I like the feedback they give. I like the way they last. What more could I want?

·
Banned
495 Posts
Pilot Powers k thanks bye

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.