Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ~fill up~before riding ?
~meaning drink enough water & have enough food in you.
I don't weigh much, and don't always eat enough.
I did everything wrong;
*wore heavy non-ventilated leather jacket when it was hot
*didn't sleep the night before
*didn't eat in the las 12 hours

I only remember knowing I was about to pass out
I remember stopping, and zipping open my jacket for air.
The next thing I remember I was off the bike and a guy was taking my helmet off
When the paramedics came, they diagnosed heat prostration
A really nice rider gave me a cold gatorade
He told me I had passed out sitting on my bike with my fists locked on the grips
After the nice gatorade, and resting with my jacket off,
I signed off on the paramedics' *refused to transport*waiver
I rested some more, and he gave me another gatorade.
When it was over,
I went directly to Mcdonalds and ate two Angus third pounders
I was very lucky I didn't crash
I will always eat before riding now :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Damn man, glad you made it out alright. Could've ended up real bad. I started carrying a hydration pack with me whenever I do canyon rides. It's a bit uncomfortable if you have a speed hump, but it's hands down the best $20 I've ever spent in terms of anything riding related.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
even more necessary to eat and drink lots of water/gatorade if you do a track day. You'd be surprised how much you drink at a full track day.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Two things.

Eating at McDonald's doesn't count as "eating". That's gross and there is so much damn salt in that food your just working against yourself when your trying to stay hydrated. Of course there's stuff at McDonald's you could eat, but two 1/3lb Angus burgers means your body needs like 72 gallons of water when your done. Don't eat before riding. Eat healthy before riding, street or track.

Also, like strat said, at the track drink every second your not on the bike. You should be drinking 100% of the time, and you shouldn't even have to pee all day, you'll be sweating so much. Drink, Sweat, Drink, Sweat, Drink, Sweat, Drink.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I'm glad that you are okay. Be safe man!!

--David

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Two things.

Eating at McDonald's doesn't count as "eating". That's gross and there is so much damn salt in that food your just working against yourself when your trying to stay hydrated. Of course there's stuff at McDonald's you could eat, but two 1/3lb Angus burgers means your body needs like 72 gallons of water when your done. Don't eat before riding. Eat healthy before riding, street or track.

Also, like strat said, at the track drink every second your not on the bike. You should be drinking 100% of the time, and you shouldn't even have to pee all day, you'll be sweating so much. Drink, Sweat, Drink, Sweat, Drink, Sweat, Drink.

I love when someone says exactly what I wanted to say so I can just hit you with a :plusone:

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes, its important that you need to eat especially drink enough before you ride. especially when the weather is hot, it tends to dehydrate you more. i'd go with nice cool water. anywho, glad your save man.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That kinda happened to me once. I took some meds for my shoulder and was dehydrated and very tired. I started not feeling good so I called my GF and told her to come over, next thing I know I was lying on the ground in the kitchen and had no idea how I got there. Then I remember going to the fridge to get some water and BAM woke up on my back again with no water and the fridge open. Crawled back to my bed and BAM woke up again on my back on the bed with no idea how I got there. It freaked me the F out man.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thanks guys I really learned my lesson. Now I start hydrating the night before I'm going riding. I'm going go shopping for a water pac at REI. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just remember, with every litre of water you drink, you should consume about a pinch of salt, if you are sweating profusely, otherwise you will just piss it all straight out again.

The body has a very fine salt/water ratio in the blood.

Gatorade works, but if you don't want the silly amounts of sugar that go with it, just make sure you have something to eat that's a bit salty.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Glad you learned from this but yea in warm weather gotta stay hydrated, definitely gotta eat, and gotta dress for the weather. I used to wear a warm leather jacket in the summer heat but I sweat bullets in it and ended up unzipping it just enough to catch a shitload of air which helped my torso but not my arms so I got a better suited jacket.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I almost had a head stroke once in really bad weather/traffic on East Colonial for the Orlando folks. Definitely gotta stay hydrated.

However, don’t eat too much right before you ride. If you eat a lot before you ride it actually draws blood away from your brain to digest food and lowers your blood sugar while you are in the beginning stages of digesting. If anybody has ever felt tired after they eat, that is why. Most don’t need to worry about it, but my blood sugar fluctuates; and I find myself feeling pretty tired after a big meal.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Two things.

This is true. I drink about a gallon of water a day.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Just remember, with every litre of water you drink, you should consume about a pinch of salt, if you are sweating profusely, otherwise you will just piss it all straight out again.

The body has a very fine salt/water ratio in the blood.

Gatorade works, but if you don't want the silly amounts of sugar that go with it, just make sure you have something to eat that's a bit salty.
SO true on the salt thing. Everyone thinks they should drink so much water when that is actually not the best for you. Those who feel the need to drink ice cold water when they are really hot...see your ass in the ER, that nice, ice cold water will send your body into shock real fast. When I worked construction, we carried dehydration packs in our first aid kits, they consisted of a bottle of water and a salt wafer. Luke warm to cool water is better the ice cold and NEVER pour that ice cold water over your head...once again, see your ass in the ER. For those wondering how I feel I can tell people whats good for them on this...CLS (Combat Life Saver), hell I could even give you all chest decompression valves and start an IV on your ass when you pass out:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I work around tire curing presses and it is usually 30 degrees above outside temps + 90% humidity from the steam. Backbreaking work and 120-130 most of the summer. I got one word... Pedealyte. Two big gulps and then switch to plain old water. Cool is fine, just not ice cold. We are averaging one guy per week hitting the floor out at work and leaving in the ambulance. Needless to say ive learned ALOT about hydration on this job. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts