Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey u guys!
i am 15 and a half and am planning to get this bike in a year or two.
i know that riding fast and doing stunts is stupid!!!!! wont ever do stunts..... maybe go fast but not until i have TONS of experience. also i am planning to take many classes because i live in California and soccer moms go 90mph in their big ass SUVS!!! and stupid people always swerve and stuff so planning to take some REALY good classes!
i wont do stupid stuff because its "FUCKIN STUPID"!!!!!:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
My advice is to first take a class and then decide on how much power, weight, and margin for error you want for you first bike.
Second, the more road experience you have, the more feel you have for when a cager will do something stupid on the road. Obviously at 15 1/2 you can't have much exp on the road, so being on the road at all whether in a car or on a bike will be a new experience. Its easier to learn how ppl act when driving in a car then on a bike where they will have a harder time seeing you. Plus you have more protection if something happens.

I'd recommend starting smaller and trading up later. I'm happy I did, and I think I'll be a better rider for it in the long run.

Whatever you do, stay safe and have fun. btw, welcome to the site

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Also remember that the bigger the engine, the more the bike weighs. A 600 is around 350-380 pounds. WHEN (not if) you drop it in a parking lot or during a u-turn, you will have to pick that thing up by yourself. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Originally posted by skaterngolfer<br>hey u guys!
i am 15 and a half and am planning to get this bike in a year or two.
i know that riding fast and doing stunts is stupid!!!!! wont ever do stunts..... maybe go fast but not until i have TONS of experience. also i am planning to take many classes because i live in California and soccer moms go 90mph in their big ass SUVS!!! and stupid people always swerve and stuff so planning to take some REALY good classes!
i wont do stupid stuff because its "FUCKIN STUPID"!!!!!:D
If thats what you want for a bike i say go for it, in the long run you are going to be the one riding it. On the other hand all of the suggestions before me are very good and should consider those as a big factor in your final decision. As far as wheelies go and all i think its good that you seem to be mature about it and realize that its stupid, but everyone me included have done them at one point or another and to say that you will never stunt is like saying fat kids dont love cake, it's inevitable. Rmember one thing and you will be fine, dont ever ride over your head, and ride what you feel comfortable doing, dont push it to catch up with someone! Best of luck to ya little man and i hope learn on a bike the right way and not the squid way. Everything come with time and when you get it you will appreciate it more [:Welcome]

·
Registered
522 Posts
ive heard alot of people shy away from 600's as a first bike...esp for a younger rider such as yourself. im sure if you were really really careful you could learn safley, but a 600cc gets into the "unforgiving" dept, esp on throttle. keep in mind that the zzr600 today is actually the zx6r of yesterday. so therefore, you can see that it is really a SS bike.

what i did, was buy a ninja 500r. the thing has plenty of power, its a hair lighter than a SS, and throttle is much more forgiving. if you accidently grab a handfull of throttle you wont be pointing the front to the sky.

i wont tell you to not buy a new bike, because thats what i did. i have bought used vehicles before..and its a crap shoot at best. also, you dont know how hard the bike has been ridden (if its a SS you can bet its been ragged on) and who knows how well they treated it during break in. and the MSF (BRC) course is highly reccomended. and if you have a good instructor it can be a blast. and its a good way to meet fellow new riders in your area.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm biased, but I would suggest starting on a 250. They don't offer the straight line acceleration of the bigger bikes, but they have crazy good handling, cost very little to buy/insure/fuel/maintain, and should you decide that spending a few grand for more acceleration, you can often sell a 250 for what you paid for it.

I've had faster straight line bikes, but the 250 is by far the most fun that I have ridden/owned.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by Rivetgeek<br>Also remember that the bigger the engine, the more the bike weighs. A 600 is around 350-380 pounds. WHEN (not if) you drop it in a parking lot or during a u-turn, you will have to pick that thing up by yourself. Just something to keep in mind.
The ZZR is spec'd at 378 DRY... it's well over 400 wet. That dual exhaust is a like carrying an anchor around with you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well in two years zzr600 will beused and everywhere so i will probably buy one used and learn on that so when i lay the bike down, it doesnt cost me a fourtune! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
[:Attention]

·
Registered
391 Posts
no new 600's that im aware of. they got rid of the 636 for 2007.

ride safe when u start and always wear your gear. im sure being on this forum will show you how important gear is.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Like everyone said, you are very young and very inexperienced. My parents wouldn't even think of letting me having one in high school. The more years you drive a cage, the better off you will be on a bike when situations arise. Keep that in mind. I started off on my 636 when I was 20, plenty of power. Scares the crap out of me still after a year when I twist the throttle wide open. Oh yea, speeding on a motorcycle is inevitable [^]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by skaterngolfer
yeah i know....[^] i will probably speed... but, only when i have enough experience to make sure i wont crash

I don't think you can ever have that much exp. Shit happens at any speed. Just build your skills so you know how to respond when it does and try to anticipate it so you can avoid as many bad potential situations as possible. Keep learning and ride safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
im going to agree with that zixxer guy, you cant even have a driver's license at your age, and getting on a bike doesnt sound like a good idea. i got my first bike when i was 18(now im 20), and had just graduated high school 1 month before; i couldnt imagine getting onto a bike any sooner, than i did.

as far as a recommended bike, i would honestly recommend a ninja 250/500(if you want something a little nicer looking maybe a 200cc lifan or suzuki gs500), but the zzr600 would be a good starter bike, IF AND ONLY IF you can stay off the throttle(intentional, or on accident), as it was previously stated 600cc+(especially ss) are not forgiving bikes

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also agree with the others and think time driving a car is required experience first before a street bike. It will be amazing what kind of "suprises" you will get out on the road in your first year driving. For now, if your parents let you, get yourself a cheap dirt bike. Any practice on two wheels will be valuable later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i am gonna wait a year or so of driving in a cage before getting my bike.... wanna be prepared for te dangers of the road![^]

1 - 20 of 73 Posts