Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after a recent crash, I took off my forks to make sure they werent bent. Well after I found them to be straight, I attempted to reinstall them. I noticed something as you can see in the following pics. They wouldnt line up very easily... I could muscle them in if I wanted to, but Im not sure if this is normal. They are off by about a millimeter on both sides but on opposite sides (see pic) anyway, check it out, pls let me know if this is indicative of a bent upper/lower, or F it, muscle em in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/projek7r/MOTO/DSC00145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/projek7r/MOTO/DSC00144-1.jpg

Thanks.

Freddi

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's how mine looked after my highside. What you can do to see if they are straight (cheap and easy way, may not be perfect but really close) is to loosen your triples the top from the lower and insert your forks with the triples just loose enough to move the upper and lower independantly from each other. Slide your forks in, if they go in easy then they should be straight, torque the triple back down. If the triples are loose and the forks won't go back in easily then you sir have a bent triple, top, bottom or both. This only works if you have completly 100% straight forks. Be careful when tightening the triples back down becuase you can offset them again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If they do go in easily and you tighten the triple back down remove and re-install both forks to make sure you didn't twist the triples. If forgot that part. Enjoy

·
Registered
321 Posts
What Billy said...keep in mind that the upper and lower parts of the triple tree will move separately. I ran into this when I reinstalled my forks; I had rotated the triple tree to make it easier to get the forks out, and then moved it back afterwards, which caused the top part to rotate further than the bottom part.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the follow up, yep shes all lined up. I just loosened her up, lined her up and stuck em in! ;)

Good to go guys, thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.