Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter i am planning on dumpin some money into my bike......i ride the bike mostly as a street bike but it will also ocassionally be run at teh strip.....i want to know what teh best mods as far as tuneability and power are....i was planning a powercommander with the quickshifter and getting full exhaust....is that my best route?......also i may end up putting a small dry nitrous system on the bike....like a 20hp shot or so.....what would work best to tune so that i dont run lean when i spray?

thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you put the quick shifter in the bike I believe that you will have to purchase the dynojet ignition module. I would personally skip the spray.

If you are looking for a drag bike then I would:
Sell 636 and buy zx-10r
Pipe
PC III
Extended swing arm
strapped front end
regear it

If you are looking for a track bike I would:
Superbike school <~~~ Big one there~~~~
PC III
Pipe
steering damper
SS brake lines
ohlins 25mm cartridge kit

Brad

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
ahenson636,

As a fellow drag racer I would definitely recommend a quickshifter. I installed the MPS racing ignition kill box which allows full throttle clutchless upshifts. It comes with all the necessary hardware to set up and total cost was $150. It is so much less expensive than the dynojet setup and works great. The only thing that had to be done was to fabricate a mount for the switch to mount on the shift lever. My dad had a piece of aluminum lying around and fabbed it up. If you want photos of the setup, let me know. There is less wear and tear on your clutch and gearbox and it makes the 1/4 miles more consistent. I am doing a track day Oct 19th at Daytona where this will come in handy as well. I just installed the kit ECU and a new clutch and am looking forward to running the 1/4 tomorrow night. I will post my results under the 1/4 mile zx6rr thread. I am planning on dynoing it Saturday as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well let me know what u run pm me if u remember because i prolly will forget....lol....yeah i would def like to see the photos and also know where u bought it the mps ignition box and kit ECU .......i dont want a bigger bike because mine is more than enough for the street i just want to squeeze a little more out of it when i take it to the strip now and again.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would also like to see those pics if you would post them.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah guys,

I will get some pictures posted over the weekend of the install as well as some 1/4 mile passes. If the track is well prepped tens, should be no problem this week. There were lots of pro class cars racing last week and they wore away the VHT leaving only the concrete at the starting line. I was all over the bike trying to keep it under control off the line. The second to last run it spun, then hooked,wheelied, then came down a little off center and went into a minor tankslapper and had me headed towards the wall. I stayed in the gas and it straightened out and was fine. I had the damper set at 3 as this has never been a problem but, to be safe bumped it up to 4 for the final run and it was cool.
This is the link to mps racing:

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/mps/ho05a.asp

Sorry I don't know how to make it an active link but, this will take you right there. I did not buy the extra harness as I soldered and spliced the wires in. I set mine at the 50ms cutout with no problems at all. Lifetime warranty is cool also!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ok here are the install pics of the MPS quickshifter switch and the custom plate.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cool. I can clearly see how it works now. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It took a little experimenting to get the spring mounting point just right because when the kickstand is up it would interfere with the spring attached to the switch. It is well worth the work though, and the extra $600 you save from buying the PC quickshifter can go to good use. Sorry the bike is so dirty but, I took the shots before I cleaned it up for the drags a couple days ago.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Micron05rr - seems like you'll end-up spending about the same $$$$ or more with your setup since you have the kit ECU. Isn't that close to $500.00 for the KIT ECU not including the $ 400 dollar cable you need to program it with? It's maybe another $250+ to find someone to tune it?
So your setup can potentially be a 1100.00 dollar investment....if you factor in that your dyno shop will have the programming cable, I guess you could subtract 400.00, but every time you want to interface with your kit ECU it would cost you cause you don't have the programming cable?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by Punkrawker0586
so are power commanders worth it then and how hard are they to tune with?
IMO PC3 are worth it if you plan on doing any racing or if you go to full exhaust and race filter.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I definitely agree that the kit ecu is expensive but, I do not plan on getting the ecu remapped for the rr as it is optimized for it. The PC3 without the proper tuning (time and $$) or unless your lucky enough to get someone to send you a map will not do much at all except cause the bike to run too rich from my experiences.When money allows, I definitely want to get my PC3 custom mapped though to take full advantage of my mods and smmoth out any rough spots in the fueling. The MPS quickshifter is without a doubt a great savings over the dynojet quickshifter and will save you about $600 when you add up the quickshifter, ignition module, and special shift rod. Thanks for the input though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.