Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, recently got myself my first bike, the ZX6R J2.. been loving riding it of course! I have a couple of questions i am hoping someone may be able to help me with...

Firstly, i am looking to upgrade the exhaust and was wondering what advice on what i should look for.

Also, there seems to be very little anywhere on solo seat cowls.. are these really that hard to find for this model?

cheers guys!

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi lemoore, i am from uk too. (east yorkshire) and have just bought a full race system akrapovic off ebay for 277 inc postage. it was a steal as it was almost brand new. extremely light and a nice noise. in fact if you rode past a copper low revs you wouldnt get pulled.
loads on ebay. i waited for the 3rd akrapovic before winning. dont be tempted to pay too much.
unless you are loaded.
some pics on my gallery
to fit you just need the lower fairing off and i loosened the radiator to get better access.
advice?
a can or silencer is the easiest option. but a full system doesnt cost much more second hand due to hassle fitting maybe?
i wouldnt buy brand new unless i was a lottery winner.
my model is a j1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hello mate, thanks for the reply. Nice ! How is the bike after fitting it? what difference can you feel? i was looking to spend about £300, maybe a bit more. but didnt think i could get one for that price. was looking at D&D too...

is it worth just getting a can? like you said there doesnt seem to be much in price...

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my full muzzy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like the look of the D&D one.. not heard a Muzzy. sound good? i'm sure it does!!

how much are the cops gonna care. i know people who have been pulled and some who never have. luck i guess...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like the look of the D&D one.. not heard a Muzzy. sound good? i'm sure it does!!

how much are the cops gonna care. i know people who have been pulled and some who never have. luck i guess...

I'm not sure how it is on your side of the pond as far as the police but I've never been pulled over for my exhaust being too loud and i don't know anyone who has. And my muzzy is pretty damn loud..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Two Brothers Slip (Bolt) - On. Sounds nice. They are kinda spendy brand new, but you get what you pay for.

And there is no "Right Exhaust", as it's all a personal opinion. Some mfg's make a pipe in a different color/casing to fit your needs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Viper Exhaust and was immediately impressed as soon as my bike mechanic started the bike. Check Youtube for sound clips of this exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
think i am gonna spend the cash and go akrapovic.. may aswell spend my bonus money!
is it worth going full kit or just the can?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depends.. if you want any decent preformance change get a full. If your mostly just concerned about the sound dont spend the extra $$ despite what a lot of people say there isnt much of Hp gain at all with a slip on. A lot of people get a slip on and swear up and down it helped a lot but really its just a lot louder and kinda fooling them... my .02

·
Registered
786 Posts
Or you could get the 03-04 headers like allot of us, then get a slip on for the 03-04.

Just like having a full system for our bikes, but a hell of allot cheaper, and it opens up a whole new set of options for mounting styles. (aka, the highmount that I have)

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi lemoore.
one of the biggest differences between a full akrapovic system and standard is believe it or not the weight!
before fitting my akrapo i knew when to change up cos the engine sounded as if it was revving its tits off and power wasnt coming fast enough to merit revving it any more. after fitting the akrapo i kept just revving it and hit the rev limiter a few times cos the power keeps coming!
as with most exhausts the sound is lovely and i find myself grinning to myself inside my helmet.
i was watching ebay for a month before winning mine and i noticed akrapo cans were going for between 120 and 180 yet the full race system for as little as 250.
one went for 300, mine was 277, 250 plus a whopping insured postal amount.
look at the pics in my gallery. i have yet to take pics with it on. i strapped a video camera to my tank and filmed last night as i rode it between 70 and 140, mostly around 110 on twisty's. it sounds awesome. but i darent publish it as it might get me nicked!!!
i was meaning to get a jet kit but work might be drying up so im hanging on for a bit.
i am a bricklayer building houses:(
any questions pm me or ask on here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are you looking for just a improvement in looks and sound? Or do you want perfomance?

Exhaust, even a full system, really won't give you a huge performance increase. There are cheaper and better things to do first. Jet kit, change sprockets, etc.

If you're looking for sound, I've always been a fan of the Yoshimura's on the J2's. They sound fantastic. Not too loud, good sound down low. And the bolt of runs about $250 US, so not too expensive.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you're looking for sound, I've always been a fan of the Yoshimura's on the J2's. They sound fantastic. Not too loud, good sound down low. And the bolt of runs about $250 US, so not too expensive.
Have you ever heard a Yoshi next to something else? I had it one on mine at first, then when I had to replace it, I was shocked at how whispery and whiny it sounded compared to the LV... Then again besides stock those are the only two i have heard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My bike has a Yoshimura RS-3 Its looks OK but sounds amazing IMO. I havent many other kinds of exhaust though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll register a vote. I've had four exhausts: stock, m4, yosh, and akrapovic...all slip ons.

Avoid m4 unless you are rejetting. The bike doesn't idle right with it on. Yosh looks good, but the sound isn't that deep and everyone has them. I love the look and sound of my akrapovic slip on. Check ebay often and you might find one. They no longer make them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts