Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys whats the best HID kit for the 06 zx6r ?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Projectors FTW

Depends on what you want to do. A retro-fit or just some plug in HID's to blind everyone? :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
i have DDM's on my 06 with no problems...they work great..

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
DDM Tuning for your HIDS, can't go wrong for $55.....and F&^% those who are against putting them in, our headlights SUCK ass and not everybody wants to stick the money into and the work into "retro fitting" our headlight assemblies.

That being said, do what you feel you want to do but don't let anyone talk you out of doing it. I had HIDs in my 06 636 and have them in my 09 10R. They were a BIG sale point for my 636.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
The guys at The Retrofit Source are helpful. I install by HIDs a while ago, so I am not too up to date with the newest projectors. If you are looking to go all they way, I would get in touch with them.

The Retrofit Source

Be prepared for a lot of work. The results are worth it though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the difference between just installing a regular HID kit and a retrofit ? to be honest i was just thinking about going with the regular hid kit for low/high beam

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
A retrofit uses housing DESIGNED for use with an HID bulb, not sticking a bulb with an incorrect focal length into a housing that reflects the beams poorly. Possibly bad enough to distract other drivers by a mis-adjusted/mal-aligned housing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
anyone got like maybe some diagrams to show the difference. Because as I see it people get blinded by HIDs whether its in the correct housing or not. I have hids in my 08 which has projector housings but I still get flashed by other cars..

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
That's because your projectors are still designed for the focal length of a Halogen bulb. There is one company or possibly two I've seen that maintain the focal length of a Halogen bulb but using Xenon HID bulbs. They were quite costly, if I recall correctly.

The least problem you would have is with the really old headlight styles that have the reflector built into the glass housing, which doesn't rely on the focal length as much as 'jewel style' headlamps with multiple reflective surfaces built into the housing with clear glass.

·
Registered
653 Posts
im sorry its kind of hard for me to understand but if the focal length is the only thing different between my projectors and hid projectors shouldnt that mean that my light output wont go out as far as it could??? not blind traffic???

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
It gets diffused and not in focus so it can be aiming 'higher' into car windows. It has nothing to do with length of light on the road, it has to do with the distance from the light source (bulb filament) to the reflector housing. This distances are set within a range inside the bulb to produce a consistent light pattern from vehicle to vehicle. Engineers design the light housings with this parameter in mind and when changed it can cause 'beams' of light from the multi-directional housing to go off course and that's where it tends to 'blind' other drivers.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought FSANE, a bit pricy but all plug and play, and they look gorgeous!

·
No Regrets
497 Posts
For your consideration, I bought these a few months ago. They are 6000K HID Projectors w/ Halo. Not too hard to install...hardest part is getting the housing apart and that's not difficult if you do your homework. The company has very good customer service. I had to use it because one of the bulbs was bad, as seen in pictures. They immediately sent me a new bulb. Easy wiring, comes with a diagram and like I said before they have awesome customer service.

FYI - It changes from one headlight on all the time to both being on all the time. There is still a low and high beam that work through the stock Hi/Low switch. I can take more pictures/video, if you want it.

2003-2006 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Projector HID CCFL Halo Eyes Combo- Duel *::*KAWASAKI*::*HID Kits*::*Xtreme Discount Cycle

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
For your consideration, I bought these a few months ago. They are 6000K HID Projectors w/ Halo. Not too hard to install...hardest part is getting the housing apart and that's not difficult if you do your homework. The company has very good customer service. I had to use it because one of the bulbs was bad, as seen in pictures. They immediately sent me a new bulb. Easy wiring, comes with a diagram and like I said before they have awesome customer service.

FYI - It changes from one headlight on all the time to both being on all the time. There is still a low and high beam that work through the stock Hi/Low switch. I can take more pictures/video, if you want it.

2003-2006 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Projector HID CCFL Halo Eyes Combo- Duel *::*KAWASAKI*::*HID Kits*::*Xtreme Discount Cycle
Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you have to drill any holes in your old housing at all? The website says that there is mounting hardware included but who knows if that'll work on 636s.

Just curious - have been thinking of toying with this setup now that I have a broken headlight assembly to practice on.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts