Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 zx6rr and I live in ease Texas. I am curiouse to know what everyone thinks to be best oil for very hot climates. At stop lights, my bike will run up to around 200-210F with very little time between lights to cool it down. Just wandering what the best oil to use might be.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
i would say any quality 20w50 motorcycle oil, bc it gets hotter down there in TX and u need the thicker oil for that

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will a thick synthetic help any. I use castroll in my trucks, and i am pleased with it, will castroll work in a bike?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAH, i knew what you ment. My brother used some oil with the friction inhibitor additive on accident in his cbr929. That was the only time i could beat him on mine. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15-50 car oil that you find in any parts store, or you can use the motorcycle 4T or whatever they sell, I think its probably one of the best oils out there for high temp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All I can suggest about any oil is dont' let it go for 5,000 miles. I have noticed a major break down in my oil at 4,500 miles and i run Mobil 4T synthetic. I usually like to change the oil every 3,000 miles and it always stays clean and has a nice viscocity to it at that mileage. I was thinking of switching to Rotella for this next change just due to it costing less. I'll probably only run the Rotella for 2,000 and then change back to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I ran the 4T before and I had issues with the 40 weight just breaking down easier on this bike then my previous bike. I went to the 15-50 and do not notice any oil loss whatsoever between oil changes from burnoff etc..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great, i am changing the oil in my bike this weekend, i am leaning towards moble 1 15-50, i will give that a shot.

Also, has anyone heard of an additive to put in your coolant to make your bike run cooler? If so, what is it and were can you get it?

thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
great, i am changing the oil in my bike this weekend, i am leaning towards moble 1 15-50, i will give that a shot.

Also, has anyone heard of an additive to put in your coolant to make your bike run cooler? If so, what is it and were can you get it?

thanks for all the help.
it some stuff called engine ice and water wetter made by redline, get both at your local bike shops are advance part stores

·
Registered
131 Posts
i run castrol gtx 20w50 in everything... bikes n truck... my 636 has almost 50k miles on it.. the only thing ive done to i was chain sprockets, brakepads, tires and oil.....

zx7/9r has about 80k on the bike 45k on the motor... and i have to change out the clutch (only cause i lent my bike to my dumbass friend and he forgot i have go style shifting on it)

·
Registered
131 Posts
oh yeah.. i live out in the cool weather of Phoenix AZ!!!!! 125 in the summer and a brisk 90-85 in the winter (daytime of course)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
YEAH OUTLAWED, i am glad i dont live there. Enjoy the heat, at least its dry heat most the time there, not this humid heat that i live in. but still 125 is F-in hot. it must be real hard to keep your bike cool in traffic. Is it legall to lane split there? its not here, but most of us do it anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts