Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note that none of these 1972 groups are hair bands. I was 13 years old in 1972, and about half of all guys in the US had long hair. My hair touched my shoulders for awhile and was in style like a lot of others at my school, until I got tired of the extra combing and washing and cut it shorter.

Hair bands are posers copying the common men's hair styles in the 60s and 70s, but during the 80s and 90s and later. Most of the hair bands were total crap, but some of the better ones are still remembered such as Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Motley Crue. Metallica is never considered a hair band because they were too good:
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use a Scala G9 (Because the ear buds that are great will make you miss other things riding, like ambulance sirens) and bluetooth a simple phone (spare number) that has a memory chip full of 60,70,80 music when I ride. With hundreds of songs, I seldom get a repeat even on random.

A cheap bluetooth music player is a used ebay phone, you don't need to activate it, and use it if not using your main phone. Eliminates calls to the G9, and lets you just keep it charged and ready for the purpose in your tank bag or favorite riding coat.

I keep a spare $9/month line on it with the family as I have a corporate phone, then tell everyone that number, which has a forward to the company phone. Your set if you leave the company, just remove the forward.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more oldies and still pretty goodies songs, that seem quite historic to me:

A 1947 song that changed US country music:
-
-
-
-
A 1956 song that named a new music genre, also later for the Happy Days TV show:
-
-
-
-
A 1950s folk song that got him on the I Love Lucy TV show, and maybe later led to singers like Bob Dylan and Neil Young:
-
-
-
-
One of the faster 50s songs, by a black artist that crossed over to white record buyers:
-
-
-
-
More of the same for the 50s but slower:
-
-
-
-
A very popular 1960 dance song, commonly heard well into the late 60s at dance parties:
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,010 Posts
Note that none of these 1972 groups are hair bands. I was 13 years old in 1972, and about half of all guys in the US had long hair. My hair touched my shoulders for awhile and was in style like a lot of others at my school, until I got tired of the extra combing and washing and cut it shorter.

Hair bands are posers copying the common men's hair styles in the 60s and 70s, but during the 80s and 90s and later. Most of the hair bands were total crap, but some of the better ones are still remembered such as Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Motley Crue. Metallica is never considered a hair band because they were too good:
-
-
-
-

I wouldn't call Def Leppard a hair band. The 80s "hair" bands are largely associated with metal. "Hair band" most often refers to hair metal which came of age on the Sunset Strip in LA. Poison, Motely, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat, etc. Leppard was not from that scene. Def Leppard was kind of a pop rock band, not metal and not totally pop. Bon Jovi was straight commercial. Yea they had big hair (who didn't) but they were not metal by any stretch. Pop rock. Guns n Roses started out with the hair tag but their music was a lot edgier than the other crap that was going on. That was the "look" back then if you were in LA and trying to get a deal as a rock band.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some Wikipedia info about Def Leppard. My local classic rock radio station plays a few of their top songs:

On 31 December 1984, drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm in a car crash on the A57 in the hills outside the band's home city Sheffield, when his Corvette swerved off the road on a sharp bend and went through a drystone wall. Despite the severity of the accident, Allen was committed to continuing his role as Def Leppard's drummer, and realised that he could use his legs to do some of the drumming work previously done with his arms.

Def Leppard's fourth album, Hysteria, was released on 3 August 1987. "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was ranked No. 2 on VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 80s" in 2006. Hysteria is one of only a handful of albums that has charted seven singles or more on the US Hot 100: "Women" (#80), "Animal" (#19), "Hysteria" (#10), "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (#2), "Love Bites" (#1), "Armageddon It" (#3), and "Rocket" (#12).

Guitarist Steve Clark's alcoholism worsened to the point that he was constantly in and out of rehab. Recording sessions suffered from this distraction, and in mid-1990, Steve was granted a six-month leave of absence from the band. Clark died from an accidental mix of prescription drugs and alcohol on 8 January 1991, in his London home.

In a period between late 1991 and early 1992, auditions to replace Clark commenced. The band chose Vivian Campbell in February 1992, formerly of Dio and Whitesnake. Another world tour followed but the band's fortunes began to be affected by the rise of alternative rock, including grunge.

Even though they were often considered one of the top bands of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement of the late 1970s, in the mid-1980s the band were associated with the growing glam metal scene, mainly due to their mainstream success and glossy production. Def Leppard, however, expressed their dislike of the "glam metal" label, as they thought it did not accurately describe their look or musical style.

With Pyromania and Hysteria both certified Diamond by the RIAA, Def Leppard is one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies each in the US. The others are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Van Halen. Both Pyromania and Hysteria are on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
-
-

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This part of Wikipedia below about glam metal also separates Def Leppard from the hair bands. People in their 50s now including me tend to lump all of the 80s and 90s music together more, when we thought the music started to turn more to crap, just to make a quick buck and get laid:
-
-
Sociologist Deena Weinstein points to the large number of terms used to describe more commercial forms of heavy metal, which she groups together as lite metal. These include, beside glam metal: melodic metal, false metal, poodle bands, nerf metal, pop metal or metal pop, the last of which was coined by critic Philip Bashe in 1983 to describe bands such as Van Halen and Def Leppard.

AllMusic distinguishes pop metal, which refers to the whole pop-tinted hard rock and heavy metal scene of the 1980s (including Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Europe), from hair metal, the characteristics of which are flashy clothing and heavy makeup (as embodied by Poison and Mötley Crüe).

Use of the derogatory term hair metal started in the early 1990s, as grunge gained popularity at the expense of 1980s metal.

In the "definitive metal family tree" of his documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, anthropologist Sam Dunn differentiates pop metal, which includes bands like Def Leppard, Europe, and Whitesnake, from glam metal bands that include Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister and Poison.
-
-

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think 1971 songs stand out the most for me, when I was 12. I was still listening to many of these songs 20 years later. This is the year the American muscle cars peaked for horsepower, and the 2-stroke Kawasaki H2 was new for 1971- the Kawasaki Z1 came out in 1972.
-
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_L81a3Ws-E
-
-

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the Cars in the middle 80s, with Asia as the warm-up band. I thought Asia was much better at the time- as the years go by I am starting to like the Cars more, but both were pretty good. My Dad also died from pancreas cancer, two years after Orr.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The great Wilco Johnson playing guitar for the group Dr. Feelgood, live in 1975:
-
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBfVBqQif8
-
-
From Wikipedia:

"For his acting debut, Johnson was cast in the role of mute executioner Ilyn Payne, in both the first and second season of the HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones, after the producers had seen him in Oil City Confidential. He related that "'They said they wanted somebody really sinister who went around looking daggers at people before killing them. That made it easy. Looking daggers at people is what I do all the time, it's like second nature to me'." He appeared in four episodes: "The Kingsroad", "Baelor" and "Fire and Blood" (series one, 2011), and "Blackwater" (series two, 2012)."
-
-

1 - 20 of 44 Posts