Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 02 zx6 (nothing like finding a bike with 15 actual miles on it that's been sitting for 2+ years and only needs the cowl and one fairing repainted for $3300 ):D

anyways, i know this bike isn't going to have the power my r6 did, so i will be gearing it. on the r6 i bumped it up from a 14t to a 15t and it gave it a bit more torque. now i've been reading that on the zx6's i guess everyone is lowering them down in front? so i'm a little confused on getting the right combo for my new bike... also when i had the stunt sprockets on my r6 it was a 51/16 setup compared to the 48/14 stock getup.

anyone have an idea why some bikes need bigger and some need smaller sprockets? or does the lower front sprocket usually expect that you are making the rear higher?

·
Registered
939 Posts
lowering the teeth in front and raising inthe rear is going to give the bike a better mechanical advantage. good example of this(cant remember who said this on here..) its like useing a breaker bar on a tight nut it make it easier to turn with less power. which means you can turn a gear faster with less power.
this is a good chart to see you gear ratio and what you will achieve with different setups.
http://www.moto-heaven.com/ratiochart.php

·
Registered
96 Posts
Going from a 14t to a 15t on the front is gearing up, more top end,less torque whether its a 6R, R6, Gixxer, or a bicycle. When you went from 14/48 to 16/51 on your R6 you also geared up, less bottom end more top. I don't stunt, but I can't imaging doing anything but gearing down on any 600.

Check the stunter forum, but I think alot of them go -1,+3. Good luck with the ZX6. I have a 05 ZZR, same bike basically, you maybe pleasantly surprised by the power.

·
Registered
89 Posts
check the thread I started last week. it's down a few posts.

I have a poll going on what people have and like.

I didn't get my -1 front sprocket on yet......stupid rain.

There are some good opinions in the thread

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got my -1 on.. Honestly, I'm not noticing much of a difference up top, but it's defineatly noticeable getting the bike moving from a stop. Doesn't take a lot of throttle and it gets moving awfully easy. I dunno, maybe after a couple runs with some of the guys this wednesday night I'll be able to tell.. I'll keep ya updated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i was going to order a -1 in the front and just put it on for the weekends ocassionally, since i drive about 60-75 highway miles per day during the week.(back and forth to work) the sprocket change on the front should only take about 15-20 minutes, correct?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I threw my -1 on sunday.....

like Postal said, it gets rolling really nice! Much easier off the line. I bet it makes riding 2 up a lot easier too. The bike is faster for sure. I hit the rev limiter 3 times in ~15 miles so it def. revs faster than before. Power wheelies in 1st are like a joke. I was laughing at one point because it must have looked like I had hydraulics on my bike. It runs 0-100+ mph REAL quick.[^]

Install should take less than 30 mins. I had to use an air impact for the 27mm sprocket nut, my breaker just wouldn't do it. I cleaned/adjusted my chain and I think I spent 45 mins total. Not bad for the first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took mine to the Kaw dealer to have my sprocket put on (because I didnt have the right socket)and they said the nut was siezed to the old sprocket. They said they'll have to cut it off and order a new one for me. He said it's pretty common. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would have to seize to the washer AND the sprocket since the nut doesn't even touch the sprocket. I'm not a professional, but that seems unlikely.....

Maybe they rounded the nut and had to cut it off.......[xx(]

I'd drill them a little and ask HOW and WHY that would happen.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, I think my problem is that I might need a rejet. I only have the sprocket and a bolt-on, but the Jardine is pratically straight pipe, so I think it's leaning me out a little. I've had people following me that said it smells like i'm burning carbon and not fuel. I dunno, I probably just voided my warranty with the sprocket anyways, but I still wanna wait until October when it's over before I rejet.

Yeah, the sprocket took me about 30 minutes, as well. I just slid the wheel all the way forward and rolled the chain off. It took a 1/2" impact to remove the nut, but only a couple blows before it started moving. On my way to work this morning, I got on it to test it again, still not much luck with top end, but it shifts a lot harder. I might tough it and get a +3 rear sprocket [}:)]

Any suggestions for some jets? Easy install or a shop deal?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok, I take back my previous comment.. This morning was nice and cool and I was late to work, so after I came out from my backroads onto the freeway's access road, I gunned it.. About half way through the middle of first, my windscreen started getting closer to my face, and continued to until I let off @ almost redline. Wow, I've NEVER been able to power wheelie this thing, especially w/o even trying. -1 Sprocket wins my vote.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd defineatly be for that if I wasn't worried about making long trips @ 75-80mph.. What RPM are you usually at when you get to that speed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.