Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
Anybody have any opinion on what the best syn. oil is for the 636. This months Sport Rider has a big article on Oil. Was wondering what you guys thought. I live in the California desert, so it gets hot out here. 5W50 is the best from what I know

THX

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also,
If you got some ideas on price per quart let me know. My shop out here is a rip-off I think.

THX

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've been using Amsoil High Performance Synthetic 10W-40 in my bike for a year, and quite a few oil changes. Its a decent oil. Go to Amsoil.com for prices, usually under $6 a quart.

You can also use Mobil 1 car oil if you want, just don't use any versions that have the Energy Conserving stamp on the bottle.

Also, I highly recommend staying away from Castrol Syntec. Made my bike run like crap, and made the clutch feel like it was made of wood. Shifting became real notchy.

BC.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
An oil that was tested in the recent Motorcyclist? magazine article is the Mobil 1 15W50. It did very well and is probably one of the most readily available and least expensive of the synthetics. It is also one of the most wide used oils by motorcyclist. I buy it in a 5 quart jug at WalMart for $18.88 per jug which comes out to about $3.78 per quart. I have used it in my last two bikes and currently have been using it for 17,000 in my '95 ZX-6R. I think there are several other riders on here that are using it, some I think are riding the 636 without any problems.

I really don't think you will have any trouble with any of the synthetic oils that fall within the manufacturer viscosity requirements. The big difference is going to be price.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't you think Mobil is bending you over a little to charge you $4 a quart to leave out a little moly?

The friction modifier doesn't seen to bother the other guys riding ZX-6Rs and about a million other motorcyclists. As indicated in the Motorcyclist oil test, there are quite a few motorcycle specific oils that contain moly (friction modifiers) including the two that they tested that yielded the hp increases over the dino oil.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So I'm paying an extra $16 dollars everytime I use MX4T. I'm paying for something that will actually benefit my motorcycle where it matters most- in the engine. Why chance it in the first place? At least when/if it ever has problems I can say it most likely has nothing to do with my oil of choice. I get what is best for my bike and take all doubt away.

None of us will really be able to use the exhausts, PCs, clipons, rearsets, (insert your aftermarket parts here) to their fullest potential, but why shortchange your engine? I guess if you want to go out and buy a bunch of cool aftermarket parts and complain about the price of motorcycle specific oil, there's nothing I can do to stop you.

The engine ALWAYS needs oil. The best motorcycle specific oils will always be worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.