Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the easiest and simplest way to mount the 2008 ZX-6R OEM taillight, OEM signals, and OEM license light & plate to this Chinese knockoff of the Yoshimura RS-5 slip-on muffler for the 2007 - 2008 ZX-6R? (see photo below)

Let me explain why I am asking!

The 2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R is a bit on the heavy side for a Supersport 600, at 441 lb with a full tank of fuel. What’s worse is that there is a big chunk of weight - 9.3 lb to be precise - in the undertail muffler. That 9.3 lb is bad because it is located (a) very high on the bike and (b) very far back. Besides affecting handling negatively, it makes rollling the bike around manually in a parking lot, driveway, or garage a bit tricky because it makes the bike feel “top heavy”.

I would like to replace the OEM muffler with this Chinese knokoff of the Yoshimura RS-5 slip-on muffler kit, because this Chinese kit weighs a grand total of 4.27 lb. That means it knocks just over 5.0 lb off that tail weight.

This Chinese knockoff is both similar to and different than the Yoshimura kit. There are 2 key differences:

1. The Yoshimura uses welded on “ears” to hang the muffler from the OEM tail, basically the same way that Kawasaki did the OEM mounting. The Chinese knockoff uses a split clamp with 2 vertical ears that bolt into the OEM tail mount points (see photo below)

2. The Yoshimura includes a mount on the BOTTOM of the muffler, to which the OEM taillight, the OEM turn signals, the OEM license plate light, and the OEM license plate all bolt onto. They all literally hang from the muffler, just like the OEM setup, not from the bike’s frame! The Chinese kit does NOT include any mounting system for those street essentials.

That’s why the Yoshimura kit is a bit heavier, at about 4.8 lb. In The U.S. The Yoshimura kit sells for as low as $417 US.

The shipped, currency converted, dutied, and taxed cost of the Yoshimura kit for me in Canada would have been just under $600 Canadian.

The Chinese clone goes for $247 US shipped to your door. For me in Canada, that means its ultimate currency converted, dutied, and taxed cost was just $345 Canadian. It also arrived on my doorstep, from China, exactly 7 days after I ordered it on eBay, via DHL (a high quality carrier). This beats the speed of U.S. to Canada shipping very significantly.

So, it’s a great deal if the quality is good (which it seems to be upon reasonable inspection).

But, unless I am not understanding something, it seems to lack any mounting system for the tailight, signals, license plate light, and license plate. The seller did ship everything promised in the photos with the ad, but I cannot see how the parts included can be used to mount those 4 items.

Looking at the parts in the kit, some things seem obvious and some do not:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

The offset pipe connects the muffler to the OEM midpipe, just like the Yoshimura and Akrapovic kits do. You use the OEM muffler-to-midpipe clamp and gasket. And you use the 2 included springs to secure the offset pipe to the muffler. So far so good.

Next, the 2-piece split-clamp is clamped around the muffler, loosely at first, and the vertical “ears” bolted to the clamp (see the ears in the photo - one ear sitting vertical like it would be in final mounted position, and the other ear tilted over in the photo to show you its shape and attachment method to the split clamp.

The “S” shaped bracket in the photo is used behind the righthand side bodywork in the tail (Both the Yoshimura RS-5 and the Akrapovic kit provide a similar piece for the same use).

So far so good.

BUT, then we have those 2 nut & bolt sets, and those 2 long narrow metal pieces, each of which has 4 holes in it. I have NO idea what those do or how they do it. And no, the kit does NOT come with any instructions whatsoever (The ad simply says to use “professional installation” if required). I asked the seller what they do and where they go, but English is not a first (or apparently even a 2nd or 3rd language at the seller’s office, so I figured I am more likely to get a good answer HERE!

Are those 2 nut/bolt sets and those 2 metal pieces supposed to somehow mount the 4 street-essential items?? Or, if not, what ARE they supposed to do?

I figured that for the cost saving, if I don’t get an answer here, I will simply have to make a U-shaped bracket that I will strap to the bottom of the muffler via a stainless steel half-inch wide hose clamp. That ears on that U-shaped bracket will point downward, just like the ears on the bottom of the OEM muffler do, and will have 2 holes in each ear, just like the OEM ears, to accept the complicated multiple OEM mounting pieces used to mount the OEM taillight, signals, license plate light, and license plate holder. Since all those items being supported are very light, the half-inch s.s. hose clamp will be more than robust enough. I’ll even include a 1/8” thick slab of silicone “cloth” between the U-shaped bracket and the muffler, to help reduce heat transmission from the muffler. (Although a Carbon Fiber muffler stays so cool that you can literally almost put your hand on it while the bike is running)

But, since I have zero metalworking skills or experience, and no metal cutting and forming tools, I may have to hire someone who DOES have those skills, experience, and tools, since I’d like a reasonably professional piece, since the bike is SO pretty (I bought it from the original owner who kept it in his LIVING ROOM until his girlfriend moved in and put a stop to that).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

So, can anyone here help me out with some answers on how to do the mounting of the taillight, signals, license plate light, and license plate?

Jim G

·
39,645 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I hate undertail exhausts. If it was mine, I'd buy a fender eliminator kit. There are a couple of styles that I would go with, one puts an integrated tail/turn light above the muffler (looks like it replaces a trim piece), the other moves the tag & light and tail/turn light forward under the tail, just above the wheel. The thing is, if you go this route, you just spent what you saved by not buying a Yoshi in the first place.

With that being said, if a fender eliminator kit is off the table, I would go to a home store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and find some stainless steel to fab up a bracket. Then again, I have a vice, drill, abrasive saw, polishing equipment, etc. and could fab something fairly easily.

You have an absolutely stunning bike, but the reflectors and mud flap need to go in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of the reasons why I hate undertail exhausts. If it was mine, I'd buy a fender eliminator kit. There are a couple of styles that I would go with, one puts an integrated tail/turn light above the muffler (looks like it replaces a trim piece), the other moves the tag & light and tail/turn light forward under the tail, just above the wheel. The thing is, if you go this route, you just spent what you saved by not buying a Yoshi in the first place.

With that being said, if a fender eliminator kit is off the table, I would go to a home store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and find some stainless steel to fab up a bracket. Then again, I have a vice, drill, abrasive saw, polishing equipment, etc. and could fab something fairly easily.

You have an absolutely stunning bike, but the reflectors and mud flap need to go in my opinion.

Just my $.02.
Thanks, Green! I have ordered a Chinese alloy fender eliminator this morning, which I will need regardless of how I handle mounting the essentials to the muffler. The kit cost me $49.40US = $65 CDN including shipping with delivery within 2 weeks. It accepts the OEM taillight and OEM signals, and incldues an LED lciense plate light. It's super lightweight and small, and bolts up to either the OEM "ears" on the OEM muffler or similar ears that I will need to make or get made. This keeps the essentials where The Law wants them: at the rear of the vehicle, not deep under the tail above the tire.

You mention that you have the tools and skills to make a s.s. mount that I assume can be hose clamped to the Chinese muffler to accept a fender eliminator with OEM mount points to the muffler. That would basically be a U-bracket with each ear running parllel to the bike's centerline. Key dimensions would be:

Gross "outboard width" = 4.25"
Gross depth (along bike's centreline) = 2.5"
Height of each ear = 0.75" (-0, + .125", so that the fender eliminator ears positively do not extend to the muffler surface)
0.625" (approx) "slot" at the base of each ear, centered on the 2.5" depth dimension, through which the 0.5" wide s.s. hose clamp runs that secures the U-bracket to the bottom of the muffler.

(Since the bottom of the muffler has a slight curve, I will use 0.125" thick silicone sheeting between the U-bracket and the muffler to (a) absorb the slight curvature of the muffler and (b) help reduce heat transmission from the muffler to the U-bracket)

If you, or anyone else reading this thread can make such a bracket, and ship it via USPS Priority Mail to me in Canada, I would be very interested in getting a price to have that done for me!

The above U-bracket solution keeps the OEM essentials and OEM wiring unaltered, which is nice (and less likely to invite law enforcement attention).

Interested in shooting me a price by PM?

edit: Aluminum for the U-bracket would be easier to cut and bend, and would also be lighter in weight! So, maybe even a better option than the s.s.?

Jim G

·
39,645 Posts
Actually, what I would probably do would be to find another mounting point on the subframe and create two individual brackets (one left, and one right) that would run from the subframe to the previous mounting locations. Either that, or come off of the left/right side muffler clamp bolts.

I'd love to help you out with your idea, it will certainly work, but fall is here and I'm busy every night/weekend prepping my acreage and machinery. Splitting wood, winterizing the well, spraying/fertilizing, winterize the camper, put the ZL1 to bed, get the snowblower lubed, take the mower deck off of the tractor....you get the point. If you can wait a few months I could get you hooked up.

Maybe someone else will chime in and offer something up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts