Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself getting blown to the left side of the lane as I get closer to the cab. Should I lean against the "bow wake" or just let her have a little head room? I find when I "push" my bike into the wake, it's not that bad. By push I mean, leave my butt centered on the seat and lean my upper body to the left, and SLIGHTLY leaning the bike to the right. Is this the right technique? All my years of riding I've never thought about this till yesterday. I noticed a full fairing sportbike gets blown around more than a naked sportbike. I also speed up a little to get around them quicker, you know, less time in their blind spot.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Get all the way over to the opposite side of the lane (if they're on your right, get over to the left or vice versa), downshift and speed up like a bat outta hell.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
[:+1] Move as far away from them in your lane as you safely can & be prepared for the bow wave... don't prolong it; get past as quickly as you can, then resume your normal speed.

BTW - You guys ought to experience this towing a 28 foot toy hauler behind a pickup...only in that case, it's the 18 wheelers doing the passing, so you have very little warning. Feels like the whole trailer is gonna sway off the road! Not fun.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never felt the "bow wave" you're talking about. I have felt the crazy turbulance behind them. I do the same thing, I zip up to about 100 and shoot around them, then slow back down.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
Hmm, it never has bothered me, I just go by at normal speed, lean into it a tiny bit to prevent getting pushed around.

Riding right behind one is more weird, get tossed side to side.
Thats pretty much what I do, plus I'll tuck a little bit too. Of course, I'm only 5'11 195lbs, I might be a little more "aerodynamic" than most.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
i just increase my speed and zoom by them. once they're gone i slow down again
Got a $500 ticket doing that!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I just get right into the rocket seat (for all of you that have ever seen smokey and the bandit)... works well, and cops will barely notice you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I sped up to 100 mph every time I had to pass a truck on the highway, it would be absurd. Maybe you guys don't ride where there is much traffic or something, but that's just not acceptable for any kind of reasonable length highway riding.

Just hold a constant speed, RELAX, and cruise by. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Remember, inconsistient riding (such as changing your speed rapidly) puts you are greater risk.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by kpt4321
If I sped up to 100 mph every time I had to pass a truck on the highway, it would be absurd. Maybe you guys don't ride where there is much traffic or something, but that's just not acceptable for any kind of reasonable length highway riding.

Just hold a constant speed, RELAX, and cruise by. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Remember, inconsistient riding (such as changing your speed rapidly) puts you are greater risk.
Thanks man. Thats pretty much what I do, I don't really zip past 'em doin' 100mph, just speed up enough to get out of their blind spot a little quicker. As far as moving over as far away from them as I can, I don't do that, but do maintain a reasonable distance from them. I used to drive a big truck OTR, for like a year.(Thats all I could handle, and I made the amount of money I needed to.)If you move all the way over in your lane, your in the blindspot sooner and longer than you need to be. And I NEVER, not even in my car pass a big truck on the right. I just wait and let 'em over, then go on their left to pass. I personally have great respect for truck drivers and the idiots they have to put up with on the road, I think EVERYONE in this country should have to drive one for at least 3 months. I bet they wouldn't do half the things they do on the highway. I never really had trouble with bikes though.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
[:Stupid], i just tuck, and speed up a little bit.

BTW, whats the 'rocket seat'?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Originally posted by Razor_crazed
i tuck and throttle up, zoom past as fast as can get by them, then slow it down and maintain speed so they dont catch up again
[:+1]Make this move as fast as possible never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just go by them like normal, speed up a little if it makes you nervous. I would advise against moving all the way over in the lane though. Use the middle, you want to have as much road to work with in the event you get blown one way or another. If you get all the way over, a blast of wind could put you off the shoulder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.