Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a couple of bottle jacks under the front edge of the engine. This, of course, requires the removal of the lower fairing.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
of th ground so my fork are de-compressed. Theer are some things I will have to do to my bike that requires the front tire of the ground with the fork de-compressed. What is the best way to do this?

Also the cheapest way?

I was justing think of rigging some sort of pully thing from my garage roof, tie it to the upper tree clamp and lift the front end that way...

Anyone have any ideas?

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you don't have an engine hoist do it the way minytrker shows but use a rafter in the garage or shed this is how I did it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
After my bike fell over using the bottle jack method (luckily no damage), I went out and bought a Pit Bull front stand. It lifts from the bottom of the steering stem. Not the cheapest route, but may save a lot in the long run!

------

Red
AMA #439394

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

of th ground so my fork are de-compressed. Theer are some things I will have to do to my bike that requires the front tire of the ground with the fork de-compressed. What is the best way to do this?

Also the cheapest way?

I was justing think of rigging some sort of pully thing from my garage roof, tie it to the upper tree clamp and lift the front end that way...

Anyone have any ideas?

------

Wanna borrow my bike jack Andy?!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i can get a bike jack for like 150 bucks, but I wasnt sure it would work....the bottom of my 02 zx-6r doesn't look "flat" enough for a bike jack...and I'm not a big fan of supporting the weight on the pipes and such....

So my idea of

"I was justing think of rigging some sort of pully thing from my garage roof (actually using a roofing beam r something), tie it to the upper tree clamp and lift the front end that way..."

should work then since I dont have an engine hoist...

------

·
Registered
253 Posts
The way i lifted my bike up was easy. Attach 4 hooks or eyelets, (exhaust claps for car) to the beam over head in the garage.
Hook up 1 tie down to each hook, and attached them to the bike around the triple clamps and the clipons. Then using a car ramp, place this at the front tire of your bike. Roll the front tire of the bike up the ramp. The bike is know lifted off the ground high enough to drop forks or change the tire. With the bike on the car ramp just tighten all the tie downs, then pull the ramp out and the bike is hanging up.
This can be done with one person.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey TommyV,
How do you like that Craftsman Jack? Ive seen them for about $120 but i wasnt sure how funtional it would be.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
turns out I'm planning on building a wooden brace that ill hold the fr4nt end up after I use a front end stand to lift the bike...

my steering bearings are shot most likely...damn it...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Hey TommyV,
How do you like that Craftsman Jack? Ive seen them for about $120 but i wasnt sure how funtional it would be."

Actually I might look into one of ths bike lifts, how well does it work for the zx-6r? The bike doesnt reslly have any flat parts on the bottom of the bike. What supports the bike and keeps it stable?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't have an '02 Andy, mines a '96. I know it sucks, but when I use the jack, in order to properly balance the bike, it has to sit on the exhuast pipes in front and the bottom of the rear shock in back. I haven't noticed any dings or bends in my pipes from this so far, and like I said, when the bike is sitting waist high where you can sit down and work on it with ease, it rocks! It's also fairly easy to put the bike up on the jack by yourself.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Well guys just wanted to say I just bought a set of those 600lb nylon winch type tie-downs attached to 11/16 inch bolts that I drill through the rafter thing in my garage and used that to lift my bike.

Worka pretty well and then I just put a bottle jack under the bike to also help carry alittle weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.