Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change my brake lines to stainless steel. Looking for some pointers so I don't dump brake fluid all over the place.

My guess on doing this is to remove the caliper and disconnect the lines so they can empty into a bucket. Then swap out the lines, refill the resevoir and bleed the brakes. Any thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Leave the caliper in place. Set up your new lines and crush washers as close as possible to where they're going. Have all wrenches ready and a small pan or bucket. Disconnect upper banjo and install new lines. While aiming old lines at the bucket. The brake fluid will slowly drip out of the master so you should have time to quickly route the new ones and remove the old ones one at a time while aiming the opened ends of the old linea into your catch pan.

Good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like I don't need to completely drain everything to swap out the lines, just need to move quick and have the lines setup when I swap them out. Is that basically what you're saying?

My biggest concern is everything I have read and heard about hydraulic fluid is that it will take paint off pretty quickly.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Older paint yeah. I've found so long as you wipe it up quickly and pay attention you're fine. A litter brake Center sprayed on a cloth then rubbed across the afflicted area prevents paint damage. Just don't allow it to sit wet with either paint or brake fluid as you'll risk damage.

It may help to rehearse the steps before you start the work. But its pretty simple either way.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Brake fluid will etch plastic stuff on your bike as well (ask me how I know). I recommend draining all the fluid through the bleed valves on the calipers first. Then put rags/paper towels under the areas that might drip when you remove banjo bolts (e.g. under the master cylinder, and under the calipers). If the fluid gets on anything, plastic or painted, wipe it off quickly and clean the area with something like Simple Green, or at least water.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Appreciate the help. I've heard good things about the ss lines so I figured it would be good to swap them out since I need to replace the fluid anyway.

Bike is 6 years old and I'm pretty sure all the hoses and fluids (accept for the oil) are original. Gonna be replacing the coolant as well this winter when I change the brake lines.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i just completely drained the old lines before removing them. not much fluid came out afterwards, but i still put towels underneath them to keep brake fluid off the bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So finally got around to installing the new brake lines. Overall was pretty straight forward but took some time. Glad someone mentioned using the master cylinder blender. The rear was easy but I was having some trouble getting good feel on the fronts from just the caliper bleeders. Went to the master cylinder bleeder and lever has never felt better. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A little tip for next time....

When you want to change out a brake line and not the fluid, simply remove the reservoir cap and put small piece of Saran / Handi wrap film over the top, then screw the cap back on. It will keep the leakage down to just one or two drops.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little tip for next time....

When you want to change out a brake line and not the fluid, simply remove the reservoir cap and put small piece of Saran / Handi wrap film over the top, then screw the cap back on. It will keep the leakage down to just one or two drops.
I needed to change the fluid anyway but that's a pretty slick idea. The stuff that came out of the rear line was practically black.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts