Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up folks. This ia little long but the details are needed. I have a 20004 636 that i bought brand new which now have 16,000 miles on it. I know alot of folks have made posts in regards to there bike idling low. I started having the problem at about 6000 miles and the bike would damn near cut off when i came to stops. Noticed no problems other then that. Took it to the Kawasaki dealership i bought it from and they said they couldn't get it the problem to reproduce itself. I thought that was odd to begin with seeing that it seemed to always happen. Bike has been serviced as the manual states from the jump.

Fast fowarding the story, I took it on June 3, 2008 for it 16,000 mile service, problem still occurred from time to time, told the dealership got the bike back still having the same problem. Took it back a few days later for them to look at it again. A month later they still could not find the problem. Bike is under warranty still bought 3 extra years when it was purchased. Kawasaki has the dealership running all these tests to pinpoint the problem. Finally after rising hell i get somebody at Kawasaki in California who gave a damn. Dealership was trying to say that the engine had excessive wear.

I ride the bike like how it is supposed to be ridden, hard, but bike is well maintained. Turns out cylinder number 1 was out of it service zone or something like that and needed to be replaced. They were not gonna cover it, but seeing that i finally got the right person on the phone he actually sent the stealership the cylinder head free of charge($1200 part), now the rest is supposed to be covered under warranty, the whole problem was due to low compression, which was affecting the idle. Bikes still in the shop until next week though part was sent today.

Any feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dam, that sucks! At least you got kawi to fix it. Don't understand why they wouldn't cover it if you have the extend warranty. Since it's internal and can't argue that it was neglect. I got the extended as well. I think the warranty says that everything should be covered no matter what!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like that dealership blows. They should of did a leakdown/compression check long ago. Question is how and why is Cyl 1 down on comp?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Blue, I wish i had an answer for ya. It was hard enough for them to tell me that. I remember him saying that the cross hatch was out of its service limits though, they where honing the engine and i think the cylinder was damaged by the piston. What actually is a leakdown/compression test. I do remember him saying something about that test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Piston at Top Dead center. Hook up some guages and a steady supply of air. The cylinder should have no more than 10% leakage for a leakdown test. A cylinder isn't sealed so a little air will leak around the piston or the valves. But it should be almost sealed. Hence the 10%

Compression...same thing with a guage then turn the bike over. Unhook all the plugs first of course, don't want to run the bike. This guage tells you how many psi of compression each cylinder has. 140-170psi is about average.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
If it only happens when you come to a stop, don't stop.

--David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts