Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies bike was having problems starting and he couldn't find out what the problem was. I'm pretty elecrtically inclided So I took a look at it and found out that a capasitor inside of his starter relay was shorting out somehow. The part was $45 though and he didn't want to pay that because his bike is still under warranty. When he brought it to the dealership he said if it's not covered under warranty to call him. Well the next day he gets a call to pick up the bike. When he gets down there they said that they opened up the engine core and found that some metal parts had binded and bent together. Right there I knew that this was all bullshit. Than we looked at the bike and saw they HAD replaced the starter relay. When confronted he said oh yeah we had to replace that too. and that it would be $135 for labor! I asked to see the old parts. He said he mailed them back to yamaha to prove that they had replaced them. This was the most crooked dealership ever. I was getting very loud with the guy and my friend didn't want me to continue and just wanted to pay and leave. He only charged my friend $97 but he shouldn't have been charged anything. They are also going to charge Yamaha for the parts im sure. I've had many other bad experiences with dealships and have absolutly NO respect for them at all.
Moral is DON"T TRUST ANY DEALERSHIP! THEY ARE ALL CROOKS.

·
Registered
266 Posts
mechanichs are a rip off, well not all of them. i take my bike to the country to get fixed because theyre way cheaper there..... i stay away from the city :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Originally posted by a007sniper
But was it legal for them to just go ahead and replace parts without your friends consent?
No, there is nothing legal about it. The first thing the bike shop needs is a signed repair order stating the door rate. The second thing that needs to happen is the recognition of a customer pay concern or a warranty concern. Warranty will pay for diagosis if it is determined that the failure is directly related to defect in manufacturing or in worksmanship. If not either being determined wear and tear or neglegance, the customer is responsible for diagnosis time required. The customer legally has to be aware of this at the time of work order generation.

If your consent was not given to pay an agreed amount for a repiar either verbally or in writing, then you leagally do not owe them that amount and they have not right to assume that you are going to pay it.

Secondly if parts were removed from your motorcylce and claimed by the dealership as warrantable items, then that must be stated on your invoice with a failed part number. If not, then they are commiting warranty fraud and the manufacturer must be made aware of this.

What the dealership has done is charge you what sounds to be like 1.5 flat rate hours x the door rate. They will also now be paid by yamaha about 30% less then what they charged you for a straight time repair.

Shifty! [V]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend's luck, that sucks man... [V]

Six-R has made some very valid points about the way dealerships SHOULD be dealing with customers concerning work done on their vehicles. [:M88] ...If only everyone knew the rules... [:M70]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
That does suck for your friend, but saying all dealerships are crooks is a huge stereotype, thats like me saying all Americans are ******** [8D]

I trust my dealership to do a good job, their prices might be higher then I can buy elsewhere, but they are honest guys.

Whenever I bring any vehicle to a repair shop, car or bike, I always tell the mechanic not to fix anything until they call me to get permission, because I will not pay for anything I did not authorize.
Never have a problem..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greenenvy,
Well if the steriotype fits, than I don't see a problem. I have been to countless dealerships in my life and I have never met an honest one. My latest example:
I bought a new car a year ago and the dealership gives a free service and maintance plan with them. Well, EVERY SINGLE time I brought it in for my free maintainance, they just happen to find a major problem wrong with the car. I have never been charged for anything but I know they are charging the manufacturer through the nose. I bring it in for oil changes and leave with new fuel injectors, new wiring harnesses, new fuel pumps, even a new clutch and all for no reason.
Even through they aren't ripping me off everyone is still paying for it through inflated car prices.
I know that there are members of this forum who do work at stealerships and I don't mean to offend them but this is my opinion and the opinion of countless others who have gotten ripped off too.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Several issues here.

First off, where is the invoice from the dealership with all the work that was done to the bike, and all the parts that were ordered? If they replaced internal engine components, then there should be part numbers listed.

Second, if the work was all warranty work, WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOUR FIRND PAY THEM A SINGLE CENT???? ITS WARRANTY WORK!!! ITS ALL FREE!!! God damn it, go back there and get your money back!!

Third, please find the number for your local Yamaha Representive, contact him, and inform him of the situation that you just encountered, and that you think they are planning on ripping off Yamaha with a false warranty claim. Tell him you are more than willing to have a Yamaha Rep take a look at your bike to verify that the stuff they say they did wasn't done.

And fourth, go back and punch the crooked service rep in the face for me. Tell him Bladecutter is gonna shove a ZX6R's stock header up his ass if he does shit like that again.

BC.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by bladecutter

Second, if the work was all warranty work, WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOUR FIRND PAY THEM A SINGLE CENT???? ITS WARRANTY WORK!!! ITS ALL FREE!!! God damn it, go back there and get your money back!!

Third, please find the number for your local Yamaha Representive, contact him, and inform him of the situation that you just encountered, and that you think they are planning on ripping off Yamaha with a false warranty claim. Tell him you are more than willing to have a Yamaha Rep take a look at your bike to verify that the stuff they say they did wasn't done.
I was gonna post that but thought he already knew it. If he didn't then follow those 2 things. Do the 3rd also if you want, but with the 2 you should do 100%. Warranty work is warranty work. NO matter what the guy does...it's all covered, Yamaha re-imburses them for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by zx6rballa
mechanichs are a rip off, well not all of them. i take my bike to the country to get fixed because theyre way cheaper there..... i stay away from the city :D
country bumpkins are not cheaper, they just steal less then their big city counter parts :D

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
My experiences wit a local dealer are totally different.

I bought my ex250 and about 3 mos later the clutch cable snapped. I managed to nurse it into the dealer very carefully. It was a friday and they told me it'd me tuesday before they could get it back to me. I told the guy "look it's only 3 mos old, and I don't have anything to drive this weekend and I gotta work" So I tried to get them to give me the part out of stock and I'd just fix it myself, but they didn't even have one. So they were allowing time to pull one off a crated bike, otherwise it'd be more like a week. Any way the sales manager ended up loaning me an old VTR250 they'd taken in on trade... Pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
once you mess with something thats under warranty, that makes it go out of warranty. IMO i would would have taken it to them and let them mess with it only.

i think your friend was soft and should have manned up, props to you for sticking up for him though[8D]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd
once you mess with something thats under warranty, that makes it go out of warranty. IMO i would would have taken it to them and let them mess with it only.
Very true, and perhaps that is why they did charge Tommy's friend. I hate hearing that this happens to fellow bikers BY fellow bikers... just sucks.
I've had nothing but good experiences with our local shop.
...Even the time when I'd ordered a tire and a fellow board memeber here managed to get his hands on it before me. (Admittedly by accident as no one checked the computer BEFORE installing the tire. [}:)]) The shop was extremely apologetic and I then ended up with 2 new tires for just a little more than the price of one! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.