Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used to use a Sigma BC800 on my 250 last year. It's incredibly useful. But don't buy the wireless package! It won't carry the signal, or it didn't in my case anyway!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
O.k.. some of the research I did last night....

The sigma's are good because it has a speed rating or max speed of 183 mph... I bought a BCF1400 yesterday but it was a faulty computer.. returned it, and bought a sigma targa... will install today...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I used one for my old ex500 mainly becasue I wanted to clock on it and it was cool to see your average MPH through a set of turns...

i used th Sigma as well becasue of their accuracy at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can probably find them in a bike shop. I ordered mine through Bike Nashbar: http://www.nashbar.com/. If you decide to get one you might want to get the rear wheel kit because the mounting bracket/wire/pick-up assembly that comes standard is pretty short.

·
Registered
355 Posts
O.k... thanks to all for help and Input... I just got finished installing my Sigma... I got the Sigma Targa.. The BC 1400 is nice, but probably a few to many functions.. I will pictures of my install location.. I thought it was cool... (pretty close to the stock spedo location...)

·
Registered
303 Posts
how/where do you guys mount the equipment?.. i dont mean the display but the components that detect the speed... how exactly do they work.. i have seen a few but can't find a good place to mount it... do most of use the front wheel or the rear?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Also interested in install details. I was looking at bc 1600, great features like average speed etc. I did not get this from demo on the site, but does it do speeds over 99 mph?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry I haven't checked this thread for a few days.. I will take my pictures now, and load them a little later.. by tomorrow at the latest.
The thing that I did that not a lot of ppl. do is I used only tie straps. Many ppl use bond/glue to stick on the magnet and the recieving unit, but I didn't want to get going with the glue.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I installed the Topeak Panoram yesterday. I'll throw some pics up when I get off my ass and go take some. I went with the glue method and I'm interested to see where you mounted yours. My pickup is on the back side of the mounting tab for the fairing (whatever it's called) that goes around the forks. My display is mounted to the back of the gauge cluster and is right in the center of my screen just above the gauges. Seems very easy to see at speed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
O.K.. I got some pictures to show all of you. I will give a brief description, but if you need more, let me know..
The fisrt 2 pictures are of the mounting location for the display. I know that a lot of people mount it close to the handle bars (because of the circulay mounting bracket) but honestly, you can't see it there. I used some tie straps (I love those things) and secured it to the front of the bracket attaching the gauges.

This picture shows the attachment of the magmet to the brake disc. As you can see, you need to cut away the plastic holder, and take out the long-skinny magnet which you will find inside. This position takes into account the brake itself, and insures it will not get lodged inside the brake. I used a tie strap to secure the magnet because I didn't want to fuss with glues/bond.

This picture shows the magnet sensor wire which is housed inside of the fork fender. It really doesn't matter how nice the install is because it will be covered by the cover anyhow. Tie straps used again.

This is showing the sensor mounted on the inside portion of the fork. As you can see, the sensor is at an angle so when the magmet passes, the two will not hit eachother.

This last picture shows the magnet and the sensor when they pass eachother. As you can see, the magnet does have to pass pretty much parallel to the sensor but there is a small amount of space between the two when they pass.

Hope these help.. As far as the install, that is the easy part. It is harder to measure your tire, and test it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ran one on my new Indian and my YZF600...I cut the wires to extend them there wasn't a problem....I used rare earth magnets. They are stronger than the supplied magnet. They are round and just fit with the help of a little epoxy in the slots in the rotor....Some ask how do they work...the magnet makes a signal each time it passes the sensor. The reciever counts the signal and muliplies the count times the distance your wheel travels (you measure the wheel travel and enter it into the unit)...all of that gives you avg. speed, trip distance, max speed, current speed....It doesn't have a back light so you can't see it at night..but I have seen some set up with a LED light shinning on it...They are nice for track days...max speed output....

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
That was a magnet I had lying around. I'm going to try something smaller and try to get it looking a little better. The epoxy is a bitch as you can see.

With the magnet that large though you don't have to run it so close to the pickup. I'm going to try and get on to fit in the floater holes on the rotor.

Much better than the stock indicator, except for quick glances. It's also backlit and has auto on and off. Not bad for $22.

Originally posted by zx6raust
<br />pardon my ignorance, is this because you disconnect the speedo
Gear change. Speedo is screwed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.