Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to decide which jet kit to use for my bike, I got a big bore kit stuck in my head.:)I was wondering if it's possible to have a reliable motor, and still make liter bike power (170+ ish rwhp). I've heard there is a 1047 cc(?) kit out there that is supposed to be pretty reliable. More so than the Muzzy 998 cc kit. I suppose I'd at least need the Muzzy fan for extra cooling. I don't want rediculous compression either, because I only have 91 octane here. Am I dreaming or what?[|)]

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
it will take a little more than just the big block kit to get 170+, but it CAN be be done pretty reliably. Just do your homework and do a few other things while its apart. If want the 1047 kit from Superbike Mike, be prepared to wait 9 months or more and get a bunch of BS excuses. Go with the Muzzy kit, you will be more than happy. Adams Performance also does a 3mm and 5mm stroker crank (wink wink) that is ......pretty neat...

Good luck
Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Before installing the big bore consider this; by the time you install the kit, plus the jet kit, plus the gasket kit, plus the time involved, plus the time you spend without the bike you're looking at 2.5K plus 2 months without the bike. You'll have a great bike at the end with 150 HP but you will not be able to recover the cost and time when selling it. My advice is if you want more power and handling just buy a 1L bike. Don't get me wrong, it's your money and time, and it will be a glorious day when you finish and ride that beast BUT if you sell your bike and put those $$$ into a 170HP, 395lb 1L bike you may thank me. I went thought 5 bikes in one year for this very reason, more power and ability, and ended up with what I have ZX-9R.

Spend the money on a 1L and save you time and money. You'll more than likely enjoy the outcome more than what you have planned.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by simple guy
Before installing the big bore consider this; by the time you install the kit, plus the jet kit, plus the gasket kit, plus the time involved, plus the time you spend without the bike you're looking at 2.5K plus 2 months without the bike. You'll have a great bike at the end with 150 HP but you will not be able to recover the cost and time when selling it. My advice is if you want more power and handling just buy a 1L bike. Don't get me wrong, it's your money and time, and it will be a glorious day when you finish and ride that beast BUT if you sell your bike and put those $$$ into a 170HP, 395lb 1L bike you may thank me. I went thought 5 bikes in one year for this very reason, more power and ability, and ended up with what I have ZX-9R.

Spend the money on a 1L and save you time and money. You'll more than likely enjoy the outcome more than what you have planned.

That's what I hope to avoid. I really do like the 9. I don't want to sell it and buy a gixxer 1k, only to sell that bike and end up back on a 9! I love the comfort to power ratio of the zx-9. I'll have to sleep on this one lol!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by NinetySix
gixxers are good with helibars and lower rearsets

I was actually going to ask about that. So they do make lower rearsets for the gixxers huh? I sat on the new gixxer 1K and it actually felt pretty comfortable. With the helibars and lower rearsets, I bet I wouldn't be sacrificing too much comfort over my 9. In a perfect world I'd have a gixxer 1K AND my ZX-9!

·
Registered
367 Posts
well you can buy adjustable rearsets, and AFAIK the lowest settings on them would be lower than stock

i dont think you would be sacrificing anything with higher bars and lower rearsets, the seats on gixxers are pretty good... its just the reach to the tank thats the killer

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was doing a little more research on big bore 9's, and they still don't seem to make liter bike power. Most of the big bore dyno's I've seen are quite a bit less than the new liter bikes with the usual mods, slip on, power commander, etc. Why is this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
technology.

superior port/cc design, lighter internal components, EFI...

oh and revs, most of the current litre bikes can rev higher than a stock 9R, and AFAIK a big bore 9 probably wouldnt rev as happily as a stock bore 9

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.