Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs: 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250r -- 7,000 miles
Overview: 1inch hole in what I believe is the crankcase. Questions about repair/parts/costs (below).

Hey,
Big noob here in the kawi forum. Spend most my time over in the Cherokee XJ forums, ha.

Anyway, during the summer [2015], I was riding with low oil, I understand how stupid that was, but I had just gotten the bike as a cheap hand-me-down and didn't figure to check the oil so quickly [i was oblivious to the clear oil gauge], as I was going down the highway I suddenly began to rapidly lose power, once pulled over my bike was basically draining what was left of the oil onto the ground.

Eventually I got it home and assessed:
- 1in. hole right below what I think is the crankcase. [see picture].
- Oil draining from that hole.
- No smoke, except for what burned off from drips.
- Would not turn-over (even immediately after powerless.)
[[pictures below]]

So, yes I understand my bike is pretty f*'d, but I do have a couple questions..
1) Am I correct that this is the crankcase [in picture]?

2) How much would parts costs to replace that (if possible), would it require entire new setups? Or could I just split the crankcase and fit on a new lower part? [Id say I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I'm sure I could figure it out if it can actually be done.]

3) If number two is just false, or overkill, how much could I expect to pay to have it replaced?

Thank you guys, any insight/thoughts would be awesome. If anything, just need a point in the right direction.

THE PICTURES BELOW ARE NOT OF MY BIKE. I PULLED IMAGES ONLINE.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
part name?

It's probably more economical to scour Ebay and the like for another power unit altogether than to attempt a rebuild.

Can you give me a better description/name of the unit I should be looking for when scouring ebay?
As in, its not the crankcase? Or is there a larger part name that I should be looking for?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If you were mechanically inclined enough to do this job, you wouldn't have to ask if it's possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you were mechanically inclined enough to do this job, you wouldn't have to ask if it's possible.

First, obviously anything can be 'done', I simply meant feasible. Second, Mechanically inclined doesn't mean I understand the mechanics of every type of machine. It means that if someone directs me on how I can accomplish something that requires some elbow grease and experience working on machines, I can get it done.

Like I said, I just rebuilt half my 98 XJ and lifted it last year, im just not privy to Japanese two wheels.

If you have any relevant information I really would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you could grab a picture of your bike specifically, that would be helpful.

If it's the crankcase itself, you might as well swap the whole motor. The crankcase on a bike motor is not only the entire outside of the bottom end, it's also a stressed frame component.

Also, if it wouldn't turn over immediately after power loss, I'm betting you also managed to melt the pistons to the cylinder walls, or at least score both up pretty good, which, again, points to a new motor being the cheapest/easiest fix.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If you have any relevant information I really would greatly appreciate it.
You are not qualified to rebuild a bike engine based on the fact that you have no idea what is surely damaged over and above the lower crankcase.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part Out?

If you could grab a picture of your bike specifically, that would be helpful.

If it's the crankcase itself, you might as well swap the whole motor. The crankcase on a bike motor is not only the entire outside of the bottom end, it's also a stressed frame component.

Also, if it wouldn't turn over immediately after power loss, I'm betting you also managed to melt the pistons to the cylinder walls, or at least score both up pretty good, which, again, points to a new motor being the cheapest/easiest fix.
Sorry I never got back to this, I got pretty busy. But in the meantime I did drop the motor.

Here are some pictures of the damage, and you're right, after getting a better look Im pretty sure I blew half a piston through the casing.

Whelp.. given these ninja 250r motors are running $500-700 on Ebay, and entire bikes are running $1,200-2,000 on cragilist--- How much do you think I could make if I just parted the bike out? Enough to make the difference of buying a new one off craigslist cheaper than buying a motor?

Ive got two brand new dunlop tires on it and everything else isn't too shabby (with only 4,500 miles on it).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely done for unfortunately.

As for parting it out. It'll take a bit of time and attention on your part to do so, but it can be worth it. You may be able to buy a whole bike with what you make on parts and pieces, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it. You'll probably make around a grand or so to be quite honest.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Sorry I never got back to this, I got pretty busy. But in the meantime I did drop the motor.

Here are some pictures of the damage, and you're right, after getting a better look Im pretty sure I blew half a piston through the casing.

Whelp.. given these ninja 250r motors are running $500-700 on Ebay, and entire bikes are running $1,200-2,000 on cragilist--- How much do you think I could make if I just parted the bike out? Enough to make the difference of buying a new one off craigslist cheaper than buying a motor?

Ive got two brand new dunlop tires on it and everything else isn't too shabby (with only 4,500 miles on it).
Well you definitely shoved a chunk of con-rod down through the bottom of the crankcase.

You could probably get a couple hundred out of the frame. A bit for the plastics and gauges. And a couple hundred for the fork setup. That'd make the difference between new engine and new bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts