Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no problem. I was trying to figure out how to delete it after I'd already posted. I knew it was too huge.

As far as the luggage goes, I do ride it for more than an hour sometimes :)
If you want to make an overnight trip do you take your miserable cage ? you wuss :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
What kind of distances are you managing? I've been thinking about doing some long-distance touring, but I don't know if I could handle multiple consecutive days of solid riding on the 6R. What I really want to do is ride to SoCal from Seattle, but it's about 1,400 miles from my house to my brother's. Usually takes me a month to log that many miles. :)

Can you pack comfortably for a weekend -- including rain gear and such -- with those saddlebags?

-----

Open Throttle

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
yeah i was thinking the same question. i'm going from NYC to phoenix in the summer and was wondering if I could do 400+ miles per day. also do you have an exhaust and does it get annoying after a few hours on the bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far, the longest trip I've done on this bike is to St Helens and back from the Seattle area. about 300-350 miles round-trip. I found that taking a 10 minute break every hour or so helped a lotin reducing fatigue.

As for the bags, I did an overnight trip no the North Cascade Loop with my ninja 500 and the bags were big enough to store a big camera case, a change of clothes and tools and service manuals (The bike never broke down, but i'm just paranoid that way). Bulky clothing might be harder to manage.

I got the bags from www.rka-luggage.com. I think you can get larger bags from them too. You might have to add a tank bag to the mix. The bags I have fit well enough above the exhaust, but you can always secure them a bit higher up.

I'm planning a trip to the Bay Area this spring/summer, and I figure about 3 days each way. More if I go the coastal route.

I think the key is frequent stops. Don't pretend you're in the Iron Butt.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
looks like my bike except mine is red...

The zx-6r isn't as comfy as my old ex500 tourer so I just bought some risers and plan on getting a corbin seat....plan on doing some long distance this spring...too cold now....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, you're local! (Metallkopf)

Furthest I've done in a straight shot is Seattle to Portland, and all of us (4 or 5, on sportbikes) were thrashed when we got there. And that's only what, 3 hours? Well, there was the time we did the "3-pass blast" -- Stevens, Blewitt, Snoqualmie? -- overnight. I think that took us 7 or 8 hours, and we weren't geared for the cold. Brutal.

I suppose I'd make some comfort improvements before crazy-length touring, though, like Andy said. Put my double bubble back on, maybe get a Corbin, etc.

Maybe I'll pass you on the way to CA! ;)

-----

Open Throttle

Edited by - dav on 01/07/2003 18:01:49

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice to see there are some Northwesterners here! I am in Vancouver Washington (Portland Oregon area, not Canada!) It would be neat to get a northwest group ride together or some kind of weekend meet this summer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Do you have a cruise control thing? I keep meaning to do some long distance riding.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.