Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 6r and i seem to have a small problem. I find that after riding for a while(day and night riding) that the bike is leaking fluid. Now I think its coolant because my coolant level has dropped. Though I cant figure out why a brand new bike would be leaking. If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Man that is some B.S. Are you serious? Did you get the extended warranty?(depending on how long you've had your bike) I don't have an answer because like you I just hot mine also 6/22. I will ask around but this problem really scares me, especially on a new bike.

·
Registered
778 Posts
First step is to find out what is leaking. Since you said your coolant is lower it might be that.

Second is to find out where its coming from, Leave it parked on a clean slab of white concrete and see were it drips. Radiator, Reservoir, Lines?

I have see where a blown fuse causes the radiator to overflow, check your fuses but more than likely you would notice a leak like that.

If you are not sure how to look for the leak or where to begin, bring it to the dealer if it's still under warranty and let them take a look, as long as you didn't cause it its covered.

If you have anymore details I may be able to help you locate the leak.
Dave

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah see if ya can find out what is leaking. Other than that, get that thing to the dealer. If it's oil, don't RIDE it to the dealer, unless it's close and tyou know you have enough in there. Don;t laugh, a kid here did that. Needed oil as he was REAL low for some foolish reason (like never checking it?!) so he rode to the dealer to buy some oil. They could hear him coming and knew he was in trouble before he even pulled up. Motor had to be rebuilt. And they wanted to blame it on the dealer!

Oh, if for some reason you had overfilled the oil it's possible to have some seep out around the air cleaner I think, or somewhere around there. But you'd know, plugs would be fouled, and the airfilter would be fubar, bike would run like shit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off I want to thank everyone for their feedback on this issue. I did take the back back to the dealer and it was checked out. There was a crack in the oil filter which was the cause of the leak. I did loose some coolant as well but I was loosing coolant faster than I was loosing oil. It was fixed by the dealer for free because of the warranty without any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.