Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
try drilling it out with a power drill although you might have to then re-thread the inside (where the bolt goes) or use a bit that bites into the bolt then screw the whole bolt out. and next time make sure the guy doing a tune up or whatever knows what he's doing so you don't have to send more money and/or time fixing his mistake. hey at least your bike didn't get totaled in a crash, right?:)

i am so moving somewhere where the riding season is longer!

·
Registered
60 Posts
What Sparten said will work. Or go to an auto parts store an get an "extractor bit" cost a couple of bucks and if you get the correct size you won't damage the threads in the frame. Or take it back to the guy that did the tune up and complain to the shop manager...might work you never know...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok here i go:( The idoit who last put the tank on after installin my jet kit Fuc*ed Up bad.One of the 2 bolts at the top of the tank is strip or broke the nut off in side the frame. The bolt will not come out our go in. It is lose enough to get a blade to cut the top off. My major prob is what do i do about the threads in the frame???:(:(

Speed is Fun!!

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Get an easy-out kit. You will have to drill a hole in the screw head and then use the easy-out bit to unscrew the bolt. Use a drill bit that is about half the diameter of the screw and you should be able to pull the screw out without damaging the threads. I wouldn't suggest taking it back, they might "f" it more than they originally did, you can make them pay for the damage though. But then, you also have to consider that if you f-up the thread, then they will blame you, tough call; do you trust they won't "f" it up more? Good luck!

Irv Roman

·
Registered
206 Posts
if there is the slightest bit of threads coming out the top of the frame, then you can use a pair of vice grips and clamp the shit out of it, then unscrew it.

I had the same problem with an engine bolt cover, there was this little sliver of thread sticking out and it was just enough for me to use a pair of vice grips to and screw it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Wasn't 100% Clear on this.

THE BOLT SPINNS i think the bottom part in the frame snapped off!!!!just will not tighten or losen if feels like the part in the frame has broken off. I would bring it to the shop but that was in NY and now i am in NV:(:(

Anyone ever hear of this happening bike is a 02 by the way so it is not old at all!

Speed is Fun!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
It looks like they have stripped the thread in the frame either by cross threading and forcing it or just plain overtightening.
To do this properly you will have obtain a 'helicoil kit' which is a thread insert kit with the original sized thread. The kit tells you what size to drill the hole out to, and then thats tapped . The insert is then put into the tapped hole and the insert will give you the original tapped hole size back, which you can use an original bolt on. This method is used as standard practice in engineering for hole repair and is also used to re-enforce tapped holes in aluminium components.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unfortunately I think you may have to drill it out then fit a "sleeve" with a thread and get a new bolt. I have seen it done before but never in a frame on a bike. I would encourage you to take it to a Kawa dealer near you and ask them or get them to take a look. They may have all the tools to do the job, it shouldn't take too long (I think!) Ask how much $ they think it will be before they do the job so you won't be suprised later.
Sorry some ass f-ed it up for you, I hate it when other people f-up your shit!!
Good Luck

Corbywan
2000 ZX-6R Green

·
Registered
30 Posts
try a competent bodyshop. ask about a 6mm nutsert. it looks like a pop rivet and is installed with a rivet gun but it is threaded. you can buy the kit from an auto body supply house. sorry I dont have one

·
Registered
315 Posts
that happened to me in a recent crash. i guess i was going about 90 when i left the road and the bike spun so hard the centrifugal force must have ripped the gas tank off taking those nuts with it. i did it the wrong way but it worked: the nuts were still attached to the bolts which were still attached to the tank so i basically set them back in place and used a lead shot hammer to gently form and pinch the frame metal around them. havent had a prob. yet. that aluminum is super soft so be careful. prolly best to find a riveting type nut that will fit in there but if you have to this will work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think I understand this a bit better and think you have a bit more of a problem than you're going to enjoy fixing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like there is a threaded piece that is normally welded inside your hollow aluminum frame. This piece was broken away from the interior wall of the frame, and now the threads and nut are just rattling around in the hole. Since the frames are stamped sheet aluminum that is then welded together, I don't think a helicoil approach is going to work, simply because the thin aluminum isn't going to be thick enough to seat new threads. My gut reaction to this is that your frame needs to have some sort of new threaded widget welded in place at the point of failure. I would get an opinion from a dealership on this. Bottom line, tho, is that it doesn't sound like it's possible for a home grown fix. Whatever you do, don't cut off the head. Otherwise, the remnants inside the frame will drop in and rattle 'round forever and ever.

{edit] Ack - just saw that this thread was a year old. I wonder what actually ended up happening, though....

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
"The idoit who last put the tank on after installin my jet kit Fuc*ed Up bad"

Take it back to that idiot.

·
Registered
622 Posts
drill it out, use a heli-coil kit to put new threads in it...done.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yes, do what Spoon636 said and just have a professional take it out or drill it out yourself and then put in a helicoil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.