Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of oil you running and when was the last time you changed it?

However, honestly I think it's because the bike isn't green.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i was just riding my bike... just cruising... all of a sudden the oil light comes on and the bike dies... i fire it back up but light is still on and the bike will barely stay running.. the bike sounds awful while running.. after starting it 5 times just to get home it finally will not start so i push it the last block to my house... i'm very frustrated i just got the bike put back together today.. i checked for oil leaks but saw none... please help... i'm too pissed right now to go take it apart again... thanks for all your help... oh by the way the bike is a 2001 with 3200 miles on it... ran great til this point..
bs

yellow = fast

·
Registered
327 Posts
Your oil light would have come on when the bike stalled, or wasn't turning fast enough for the oil pump to keep pressure up. I'm guessing water in the fuel as well, or possibly a vacuum leak. Did the light come on first, or did it stall first?

And yes iowazx6r is right, it could be because it isn't green. Hang on, mine's red!!! [:0]

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
23 Posts
They both are right, for the description you gave it sounds like you got some water in the tank. And because it isn't green... Well mine is black now cause of a track mishap.lol

YES IT'S FAST...NO YOU CAN'T RIDE IT.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
A better question to ask is:

Did you refuel the bike recently before the stalling happened? The same day? the day before? How many miles have you put on the bike since you last added gas? How old is the gas in your tank? If its over the winter old, its probably gone bad.

Another question to ask is:
Are you hearing any loud grinding noises when the engine is running? Does the engine run better at full throttle and stalls when you slow down for a light?

So many questions, so few answers...
BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by psyclone

did you gain weight over the winter? the bike may be rebelling

if not then it's because the bike isn't green
LOL! :D

##Martin##
'96 ZX6R / Full Hindle Sport Exhaust / Jetted / Upgraded Clutch

·
Registered
303 Posts
bladecutter:
yes the first time it stalled was when i pulled the clutch in coming to a stop then after that it ran horrible.. i had to struggle to keep it running after it stalled... i know the gas is good.. i put it in earlier that day and put about 50 miles or so on the tank before this happened... after i got the bike back to my house i let it cool down and it fired up but it soon did the same thing.. and also the oil light came on as it stalled... also when i turn the key on the oil light stays on... its confusing the hell out of me...

yellow = fast

·
Registered
303 Posts
i dont understand why my oil pressure light is coming on if i have bad gas... and the tank was bone dry before i filled it up earlier that day... same with carbs..

yellow = fast

·
Registered
327 Posts
The oil light may stay on when you are winding it over as it isn't winding fast enough to pick up oil pressure.

Does it run if you keep the revs into it - ie if you start it with some throttle and keep it open will it run ok, but stall at idle? (Make sure the oil light is OFF at this stage) If so, it sounds more like a vacuum leak rather than bad fuel.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
hey, mine did that when i ran out of gas and the petcock was on the wrong position. ;)

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
I'm with the theory of bad gas/water.....but you say 50 miles on tank, then sputtering to die mode. How is the condition of your fuel filter?? Fuel knob half turned?? Fuel pump actually pumping?? Let me think is there a fuse for it.......on sec........just checked manual and, no.........Fuel pump....I'm thinkin so.....
Just my .02

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
cailith:
yes when it first stalled it would run if i kept the revs high but it ran so awful it would barely stay running... after it died a few times it would not start again... it will turn over but not start.... i'm sure its not bad gas.. the oil light is on.. if its the fuel pump why would the oil light be on? thanks for the input guys..

yellow = fast

·
Registered
303 Posts
yeah thats what i thought... i am going to start tearing it down tomorrow.. i'll let ya know what i find out... any other suggestions would be great.. thanks

yellow = fast

·
Registered
32 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid. Check the battery terminals. If its loose, the bike will cut in and out and if the bike is moving at speed it feels like it's bogging down when in fact it's stalling and then jumpstarting it self. Don't ask me how I know. Lets just say it's a long walk from turn 6 to the pit when your pushing your bike!

·
Registered
303 Posts
ok last night i tore the bike down again... i checked my vacuum lines(no leaks).. i know my gas is good and checked my plugs and boots and i have good spark... the bike will not start now.. when the problem first occured i let it set for 10 min and it fired but soon did the same thing as before.. i checked my oil level and i have lost no oil so i know i dont have a leak... i dont have the money to take it to the shop... i have the service manual but it doesn't help much with trouble shooting problems like this...

yellow = fast

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your gas could be good as in "not old," but please don't discount that there's water in it. Try draining the tank completely (unscrew the plate at the bottom so that the fuel tap can be removed) and replacing the plugs. The bike may not be starting at all now because the plugs are soaked in water.

Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.