Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 08 6r's tranny is acting up with 12.5k miles on it. Sometimes I'll shift 1st to 2nd and it'll get stuck in neutral on the upshift and I'll have clutch fully pulled, shift to 2nd and will get a noise that sounds like gears are grinding. Also, when I am down-shifting it will miss a gear and I will have to hit the shifter a few times for the gear to catch. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this and what do you recommend I do going forward? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
my 06 636 will occasionally miss 2nd gear, but i thought it was because i was shifting like a girl.

do some research- some of these bikes have a feature that will pop your tranny into Neutral because it thinks your coming to a stop- atleast my 650r had this "feature"
not sure if the race bikes are the same way- or if you can disable / remove it

·
Registered
254 Posts
The 07-08 6r has a positive neutral finder...when coming oit of 1st if the RPMs r not very high it will hit neutral...rev out 1st and most of the time it shifts smooth into 2nd
Edit.. also believe it or not certain oils r not as smooth during shifting

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The 07-08 6r has a positive neutral finder...when coming oit of 1st if the RPMs r not very high it will hit neutral...rev out 1st and most of the time it shifts smooth into 2nd
that is the "feature" i was trying to name....not sure if you can disable or remove it

super dangerous at the track, when your going into a turn and expect to shift from 2nd into 1st and you hit neutral (providing zero engine braking) and sending you into the turn faster than anticipated :Argue:

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
that is the "feature" i was trying to name....not sure if you can disable or remove it

super dangerous at the track, when your going into a turn and expect to shift from 2nd into 1st and you hit neutral (providing zero engine braking) and sending you into the turn faster than anticipated :Argue:
that has nothing to do with the PNF. thats just bad technique.

the PNF is for shifting up FROM first into neutral.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
i believe it is related to speed, not rpms.
its to enable you to find neutral when parked, idling.

ever try to find N on a dirtbike? :lol: much easier to hit while riding, then stopped.

·
Registered
653 Posts
yea ur shifting like a girl, kick the dam thing up.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts

You can disable it. But you need to remove the transmission then disassemble it partially.

I've got one sitting on my desk.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agreed on adjusting the clutch cable. I've never had a problem with mine...I think I've missed a shift *once* on this bike. Ever. With over 30,000 miles on it. It shifts like butter...I mean you could row the gears bare-footed on mine. The type of oil used does have an impact...I always run full synthetic and usually the high-end stuff at that, Ester-based...The Motul 300v is double-ester base.... It's expensive stuff but you can feel the difference.

With what you're describing, it sounds like the clutch may not be completely letting go on a full pull. Also check the cable, I've gone through two of them already and last time I broke a few strands on mine but it was still pulling, and it acted just like you described...high shift effort and a missed gear or two. Note your baseline lever play...if there's more than just a tiny bit of play before you feel effort, rotate the adjuster while "diddling" the lever until you get the play out of it, then see how it engages and shifts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts